The Colfax-Garfield loop - Northwest passages: riding out the storm - CycleBlaze

May 7, 2020

The Colfax-Garfield loop

So yes, today was better.  Way better.  We threw the bikes in the car and drove thirteen miles north to Colfax, for a loop through the towns of Palouse and Garfield.  I don’t think I need to say much about it though.  We’ll just let the photos and video speak for themselves.

Video sound track: Fly Like an Eagle, By the Steve Miller Band

Eastbound, climbing away from Colfax. The first mile climbing up from the Palouse River was the toughest climb of the day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
How fortunate! Only a half mile into the day and I’ve bagged my Barn of the Day shot already. The pressure’s off now and I can just enjoy the rest of the ride.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Jen RahnAnd what a barn it is!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
On Route 272, west of Palouse. We’re fortunate to have such a fine day, with the broken clouds casting shadows across the hills.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Dropping toward the town of Palouse on Route 272.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Crossing the Palouse River at the entrance to Palouse, in the Palouse.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Jen RahnThat's pretty Palousy.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnA Palouse trifecta!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Picnic lunch, Palouse. Main Street is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Heart 4 Comment 0
In Palouse.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Palouse looks like it would be a fine place for an overnight or two, once things open up again. We’d stay here, and enjoy a view of the river from the balcony of our room.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Palouse.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Bicycles for rent! And cigars!
Heart 2 Comment 3
Jen RahnDoes that 3rd line say "Anti-nervous Dyspeptic"?

Or maybe it's meant to read Nervous Anti-dyspeptic?

Personally, I don't think I've ever experienced dyspepsia that doesn't feel just a little nervous.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnI think the first. It looks like It must have been a great place in its time. All this, and cigars and chewing tobacco too!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Ron SuchanekWhat kind of deposit do they require for the rental cigars? I'd imagine that even with the most careful handling, you're going to return a wet, charred stub. So I'd recommend the extra insurance.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
In Palouse.
Heart 4 Comment 0
In Palouse.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I’m sure I’d have been a big fan of Palouse Brewing Company. It’s a shame it closed over a century ago when the town voted itself dry in 1910. Beer at five cents a glass, or available by the wagon load! Perfect.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Ron SuchanekI want to go to there.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
There’s a wealth of great information in these old brewery advertisements, including the phone number. There must have been a typesetting error though. Do you suppose the phone number was 149, or 194?
Heart 1 Comment 1
Jen RahnGood thing is, if you dial the wrong number the first time .. you've still only dialed 6 digits.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
There’s a great story about the old brewing company. The building no longer exists, but it was a survivor. From a newspaper article in the window next to the one above: “The fire of 1888 burned down every building on Main Street from Bridge Street eastward, EXCEPT the brewery building. Built in a slight depression, the wind blew over the building, and aided by burlap sacks soaked in beer which were laid on the brewery roof and sides, the brewery survived.”
Heart 4 Comment 0
We stop for a look back at the river as we climb away from Palouse.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We’re following what I think was the route of the Washington, Idaho and Montana Railway line, which ran between Potlatch and Palouse.
Heart 5 Comment 0
In Garfield. There’s loess here than meets the eye.
Heart 2 Comment 4
Suzanne GibsonUnloess you stop those loessy puns I might loess interest - no, not true, I can't wait for the next puns.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonI’m showing the same Steely self discipline I’m showing with barns. One/day, max.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jen RahnWhat would Loess say?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnThe loess, the better.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
West of Garfield on Dry Creek Road. The next ten miles have a fair claim to being the prettiest we’ve seen here so far.
Heart 4 Comment 1
On Dry Creek Road, looking back toward Idaho before we crest a rise and begin a long, lazy descent.
Heart 4 Comment 0
For the next few miles we have an impressive view of Steptoe Butte, the highest point around. We should bike up there sometime. I imagine the view should be pretty good.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another view of Steptoe Butte from Dry Creek Road.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Jen RahnThis would be a fine opening scene in a movie.

A few seconds of eerie stillness, followed by a cyclist coming up over the hill in the distance .. riding quite erratically.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
And another. That’s it though. Three’s enough. For now.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Returning to Colfax on US 195. It carries its share of traffic, but the shoulder looks just like this the whole way.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We thought the town of Palouse was very attractive, but Colfax only fair.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 47 miles, 2,500’

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Jacquie GaudetIt was odd to me to hear Fly Like and Eagle accompanying a cycling video. I always associate that song with skiing because I sing it silently to myself to time my turns.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Rachael AndersonI always think of it when I’m riding along a great descent like the ones in the video. It feels like flying!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago