Ptuj - From the North Sea to the Adriatic - CycleBlaze

September 20, 2010

Ptuj

When Ken went out to look at the bikes last night who should he see but Steve Gray ( the Aussie we had ridden with for a while on the Danube). He had met his friend and they were looking for somewhere to camp. Ken had lost his brakes almost entirely and mine were bad. Steve was able to help us fix the problem which was great as we would have had to search for a bike shop in the morning as today's route was so hilly. They too were going onto Ptuj today so we may see them.

There was a heavy fog when we awoke and when it cleared a beautifully sunny day. A lovely day's cycling up in the hills. Neat , pretty countryside with small patches of grapes and outside nearly every immaculate home an arrangement of pumpkins. I don't know why perhaps it is for luck. The other very noticeable thing is the large number of wayside shrines and small chapels. They are all perfectly kept and some look as if they have been built fairly recently.

Ptuj itself is an interesting old town on the Drava River, it is very lively and looks prosperous. The castle and the monastery are obviously import tourist drawcards.

One of the more elaborate pumpkin arrangements.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Working on pumpkins. We are told they grow them for the seeds and extract the oil which is very healthy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We think this building in Ptuj is the townhall but whatever it is it is beautiful
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 2,409 km (1,496 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0