Banovci: Into Slovenia a short excursion into Croatia - trouble at the Border - From the North Sea to the Adriatic - CycleBlaze

September 19, 2010

Banovci: Into Slovenia a short excursion into Croatia - trouble at the Border

Heard first thing this morning that power has been restored to our place at home and that the road to the house has been cleared. In the meantime we continue to cycle on.

We woke once more to rain, we are getting good at riding in the rain. Had a route worked out that took us into Slovenia at Redics then across into Croatia at Mursko Sredisce then about 15km across Croatia to the Border crossing back into Slovenia at Bukovje. This would save us considerable distance and keep us on quiet roads. Things didn't work out quite as planned. We cycled happily into Croatia, the rain had almost stopped and the countryside was pretty with apple orchards and nice little villages. We came to the Border and there was an extremely charming Croatian man in charge. We chatted away but things weren't quite right this was not an International Crossing - it was a crossing for the convenience Croatians and Slovenians but now Croatia was in the EU they let people on EU passports through too. After a good deal of discussion and a few phone calls he let us through and we thought all was well. But oh no. His Slovenian counterpart was not nearly as helpful. I pleaded saying I was an old woman over 70 years old who was frail and could only bike a few kilometers, it was raining and if we went back to Mursko Sredisce we would have to take a busy road to Ljutomer, probably be killed and he would be had up for man slaughter. Ken's approach was a little different he asked what would happen if we just went on would he shoot us with the six shooter he carried. Then followed further discussion and if it had been a soccer match and the Border Guard the ref Ken would have definitely have been red carded and received a lengthy suspension. There was nothing to do but turn around and retrace our route we didn't have any Croatian money so couldn't even buy a cup of coffee. Actually it wasn't too bad, the going was easy, the rain had virtually stopped and because it was Sunday the busy road perfectly rideable. Thirty seven kilometers latter we were back to within about two kilometers of where he had stopped us crossing. Ken felt very tempted to ride up to the border and talk to the guard again - I wasn't keen, I feared incarceration ( and there was also the incident of the computer outside the library in Lenti, may be they had a file on us)

We arrived at Ljutomer and as we had by now done nearly 80km and the next place with accommodation looked a long way away we decided to stop. The only hotel in town was big and was staffed by the sister of the Border Guard who assured me no zimmer frei even though I could see at least 15 keys hanging up but we could have one tomorrow night. At last she told me there was somewhere about 6 km in the opposite direction. Off we went and arrived at this upmarket and very expensive thermal spar in the small village of Banobci. I put on the uniform of the white towling robe and have padded around enjoying the various spars. Ken is far too much of a puritan for such activities. They do have CNN but no WiFi.

A skill you need to master if you are bike riding in Hungary !
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Soggy pumpkins
Heart 0 Comment 0
In My Spar hotel uniform
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 84 km (52 miles)
Total: 2,361 km (1,466 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0