Kormend - From the North Sea to the Adriatic - CycleBlaze

September 17, 2010

Kormend

Our gourmet tour of Hungary continued last night. I had beef in red wine with the local delicious potato noodles and Ken had gypsy style pork with pickled cucumbers and for dessert we both had pancakes with chestsnut and chocolate sauce . Having cycled through red grapes all day we thought we should have one of the local wines and the one we chose was Kekfrankos and very nice it was. In a way not unlike Dolcetto it was well coloured with soft tannins but the ripe fruit flavours not as pronounced as Dolcetto .

It was absolutely teeming with rain when we woke. At the hotel they suggested that we stayed and spent the time in the gym. I am not a fitness freak and the thought of riding a bike that goes nowhere doesn't appeal. I would much rather get soaked and make progress. One of the men at the front desk was an English teacher. Not only was his English great but he had the ability to listen and give helpful suggestions as far as our route is concerned. He said that the main road to Szombathely was very flat and the traffic light if we left after eight thirty. We took his advice and speed along covering the 20km in about threequarters of an hour and taking refuge there in a coffee shop to reassess things. The rain seemed to ease so we decided to push on to Kormend. Again the going was fast and easy but the heavens opened and it was too unpleasant to stop even to look at the famous and beautiful little church at Jak. You have to get your priorities right however, Ken did stop to look at a two cylinder 4WD Deutra tractor - I rode on. It was a welcome sight to see Kormend appearing, find the Information and get this room above a restaurant. We thought we deserved to treat ourselves to a good lunch so with a large handle of beer I had bean golash soup and Ken tripe and potatoes. That of course put us to sleep for the afternoon.

Kormend in the rain is not the most glamorous of tourist destinations. We have been out looking for an umbrella to replace the one that went when Ken's bag was lost. No luck, I fear the wrath of the Rain Gods.

The church at Jak in the rain
Heart 0 Comment 0
Who would stop in the rain to photograph a tractor
Heart 1 Comment 0
I wish my bike looked like this
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 2,227 km (1,383 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0