Koszeg - From the North Sea to the Adriatic - CycleBlaze

September 16, 2010

Koszeg

We just loved Sopron. It is a city with a beautiful and historic centre. The Romans had been there and there were extensive excavations, the Amber Trail was mentioned as having passed through it. The icecream was pretty good on such a lovely hot sunny day though not quite as good as Italian Gelato which always wins for me. Ken now thinks Lizt was born in Sopron. We ate last night at the restaurant attached to the guest house and what a meal. I had a wonderful mixture of pork, potatoes, onions and other goodies and Ken Mrs V's (unpronouncable and unspellable Hungarian word) Special Stuffed Turkey - it looked as if he got most of the Turkey - we could hardly move after the meal. I didn't think I would ever eat again but I goobled up a delicious cheese omelette for breakfast.

We made two mistakes in Sopron however, we bought some sun block to replace that Ken had lost when he left his bag behind at a lunch stop beside the Danube and Ken cleaned the bikes. A clear omen it seems for the rain Gods. It teamed in the night but by morning the rain was really only patchy and light and we are becoming stoics as far as rain is concerned. This was the first day our GPS was to be our major route finding method. I have set it to keep us off major roads but now, after our experience into Petronell, have told it we want to avoid unpaved roads and it worked well. A major bonus was that a little way along we came across a cycle route the Rotwein Radweg which took us most of the way to where we were going. We took it, it probably added about 15km to our trip but it was worth it. The only pickers we saw were a small group working on a couple of rows that looked diseased and that if they didn't get them off they would get nothing. This lack of picking was not suprising because of both the weather and the fact as the name of the cycle way suggests nearly all the grapes are red.

Koszig is an old town with the usual central square with a very impressive church at one end. Our hotel is right on the square looking a little out of place because it is quite mod

Lunch out of the rain
Heart 0 Comment 0
The church at the end of the square at Koszeg
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 71 km (44 miles)
Total: 2,170 km (1,348 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0