Konigstein - From the North Sea to the Adriatic - CycleBlaze

August 31, 2010

Konigstein

We said goodbye to Helga and Peter at breakfast, We had seen them on and off over the last three days and stayed in the same Pensions. They were taking the day off and going by train to Dresden for the day. They are a couple, slightly younger than us. from the very north of Germany. Each year they do a week's cycle touring somewhere in Germany - they assured us that this is the worst weather they had ever struck.

The radwig to Dreseden was good and easy to follow though of course had the inevitable cobbles when ever ther was a pivnic area, a crossing our anything else of importance. Just before Meissen the nature of the countryside changes considerable and instead of the endless flat land you enter a gorge. Grapes are grown on the steep south facing slopes. These were the first grapes we had seen and are the most North Easterly grown grapes. Naturally most of them are white varieties and one of the predominate varieties is Mullur Thurgau. These seemed to be barely coming into veraison and we felt very sorry for the viticulturists who must be tearing their hair out at the present run of weather.

Getting into the centre of Dresden was surprisingly easy and we spent a good couple of hours poking around. The buildings have been magnificently restored and it is hard to imagine the horror and devastation of the Fire Storm of 1945. Seeing we are on the Amber Trail the one thing wanted to buy was a really nice pair of Amber ear rings. I saw a beautiful pair in a jeweler in the Hilton Hotel. I must have looked rather out of place there as everyone else was as well polished as my new ear rings.

Shortly after Dresden the hills closed in more and there were magnificent rock formations often with castles an top. It is in this area Patrick and Jean's Castle is. We thought we might try and find it but it would have been difficult so we just sailed along on the other bank and wondered which one it was. At one part of the track last night's rain had brought down an enormous slip blocking it completely. A digger was working clearing it but it was still with great difficulty we had to lift our bikes up and over. A fit looking unladden man was getting through at the same time - he appeared not to notice us let alone help us. Ken got his own back as we rode past by riding very close to him splashing him and calling out '' Thanks for the help mate' . I hope he doesn't understand English!

Now we are in a pension In Konigston which is only about 15km to the Czech border. When I asked the lady at the Information if there was any internet available you would have thought I was asking when the next flight to the moon left from Konigstein.

Approaching Dresden is a feast of wonderful views
Heart 0 Comment 0
A display of amber in Dresden
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 75 km (47 miles)
Total: 1,170 km (727 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0