This is Colmar - France again - this time Alsace - CycleBlaze

August 6, 2022

This is Colmar

A few first impressions. Entering the city, it's more than a town, although I don't know when a town becomes a city, we first had to contend with more traffic than we had seen entering Saverne and Molsheim. Janos is a competent driver, still, finding the free parking at the train station was a challenge, something like finding your way in a labyrinth, with wrong turns and circling back and trying again. 

After we parked I noticed that the electric cable that plugs in to connect the lights on the bicycle carrier was not plugged in but had been dragging on the road all the way from Molsheim, about 60 km. Now we understood what the Germans in a passing car were trying to signal to us through their car window. We did a check and it was still in working order.

We saddled up and rode the last 1.5 km to our hotel, located in the heart of the old town. The bicycles were an elegant solution to avoid driving a car in the historic old town.

On our ride to the hotel - kids keeping cool
Heart 3 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonThat sure looks enticing! We’ve been getting hot weather in Great Britain which is really miserable when your climbing grades up to 16 percent! At least they aren’t as bad as climbs we had earlier in the trip.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Time for dinner. We got ourselves tidied up and went out to decide in which of the many restaurants we wanted to eat. The hour between six and seven is something like a game of musical chairs. Everyone is milling around looking for a seat at a restaurant with outdoor tables and almost everything is reserved. The frenzy doesn't subside until seven. Then it is again quiet while the fortunate are seated, sipping their apéros and studying the menu. A few unfortunate ones are still roaming the streets, including us. Then we happened upon Le Maharaja which had an empty table. We like Indian food and congratulated ourselves on our good luck. Not quite. The food was edible, but it's not a restaurant we will visit again. 

Navigating their way through the streets
Heart 3 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonI want her outfit!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Rachael AndersonMe too! Except for the heavy hot helmet.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
At a quarter to seven the tables are empty, shortly after seven there's not a free spot.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Colmar's Little Venice, a peaceful oasis
Heart 5 Comment 0


So why didn't we have the sense to reserve a table like everyone else? Why did we even plan to stay in Colmar in August when it is plagued by tourists, and why in the very heart of the historic old town? Those are things I didn't think of sitting at my computer at home a month ago. There were other time restrictions and these two weeks in August were free. And I guess we still don't have much common sense when it comes to reserving a table.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonIt took us awhile to finally realize we had to make reservations!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago