A short ride and new impressions - France again - this time Alsace - CycleBlaze

August 1, 2022

A short ride and new impressions

Heart 0 Comment 0

We are sorry to be leaving Saverne so soon, there would have been a few more nice rides from here. But we look forward to a new area, and we have booked five nights in Molheim, just 35 km down the road. It would be an easy cycle but we thought it would be convenient to have the car at our new location and not bother to ride with panniers. We have plenty of time, check-in isn't until three in the afternoon so a small loop first seems to be a good idea. We get an early start before the day heats up too much and hope we will find a shady spot around noon.

Our little loop is interesting enough. We are enjoying the countryside of sloping fields and small towns.

Heart 9 Comment 0

 As we ride along, I have my eyes open for flags, penants or banners, this week's challenge over at the cycle.365/life, sister site of CycleBlaze. No one has ever officially declared it to be a sister site, but it has the same parent, cgoab, from where its members emigrated a couple years ago. So I stop when I see a string of penants along someone's front yard. My interest in the penants fades when I notice what else there is on the lawn, on the house, wherever this is room. It's a giant collection of bric-a-brac. Soon the proud owner appears on the scene and is not at all upset that I am taking pictures of his home and his creation. We get a tour of outdoors, the gazebo, and downstairs and upstairs indoors. He insists on giving us at least a drink of cold water before we wave good-bye and wish him well.

First the penants got my attention. There were many storks. I asked if there were also many babies in the house, thinking that the stork brings babies in France as it does in Germany. I got no reaction and then it occurred to me that in France babies are born in cabbages - or at least baby boys. Girls come from roses.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Then I noticed there was more to see.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Many of the ojects are hand made by the owner - I never got his name.
Heart 4 Comment 0
More of his vast collection
Heart 6 Comment 6
Keith AdamsThat borders on an obsession!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesJust when we were thinking our house is too cluttered!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierTo Steve Miller/GrampiesYeah, exactly what I was thinking, Steve! My office is suddenly looking rather sleek.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Keith AdamsA full blown obsession I'd say!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesEverything is relative, isn't it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Rich FrasierAnd how about trying to keep the place dusted!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Going to the fridge for water for us
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then more countryside was welcome, and we still had some sightseeing on the agenda.

A wonderful sky
Heart 9 Comment 0
I love seeing the silhouette of the Vosges mountains. Here a view to St. Etienne in Maramoutier.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesDo you know how to pronounce "Vosges"?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI expect as if it were written voge, the s's are silent.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Daring to be different
Heart 11 Comment 0
Great zoom on my Lumix!
Heart 8 Comment 2
Scott AndersonIs this a new camera for you?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott Anderson Channeling you and Susan - I wanted the zoom and the great close up feature, too. And I thought a smaller camera would make life simpler. More on that in my journal from Wednesday (whenever I get it finished).
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
My stork for the day - again thanks to that great zoom!
Heart 5 Comment 0
While Janos is busy with his drone, I set up a selfie with my little tripod.
Heart 11 Comment 2
ann and steve maher-wearyEnjoying your blog, great photo!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo ann and steve maher-wearyThanks! I meant to include more of the insect hotel, but somehow didn't .
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Now for the Romanesque abbey church St. Etienne in Marmoutier.

Romanesque facade of St. Etienne in Marmoutier
Heart 3 Comment 0
Interior
Heart 7 Comment 0
St. Etienne's Silbermann organ (1710), classified as a "national landmark", unique in that it is very true to the original and didn't undergo the changes that was the fate of many organs from that time.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We returned to the car, loaded the bikes and headed for Molsheim, which we reached after following a protracted detour. When we got to our hotel, it felt like we had taken a long road trip. Janos and I agreed cycling the distance would have been simpler. But the plan is to have the car at the end of the trip and not have to take a train to fetch it. 

Changing from two wheels to four wheels
Heart 0 Comment 0

We spent some time in the shade on a park bench before we left Saverne, but we were still too early to check in to our hotel so we took a spin in Molsheim, the old town being about 500 meters from our hotel.

Place de l'Hotel de ville in Molsheim
Heart 4 Comment 0
View to another color happy house while we have an ice cream
Heart 6 Comment 0

It looks like we are going to enjoy our days here, too. Our hotel is comfortable, the room is spacious, we have enough table space to write, the air conditioning is a welcome feature and we can park our bikes in the garage and take a lift to our room on the second floor. It's a spa hotel, not exactly my style, but we don't even have to pass through the lobby.

Today's ride: 26 km (16 miles)
Total: 185 km (115 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 0