Finally on the Ciclovia Alpe-Adria: Freilassing to Golling - Alpe-Adria Tour 2018 - CycleBlaze

August 29, 2018

Finally on the Ciclovia Alpe-Adria: Freilassing to Golling

Our hotel was located in the pedestrian zone of Freilassing, a convenient and central location. When we went downstairs in the morning to retrieve our bikes from the garage, we saw that the weekly market was in full swing. Local products, fresh vegetables, everyone shopping on foot or by bike - a cheery scene. And the sun was shining. Hard to believe that we were again having such gorgeous weather!

It wasn't far to Salzburg - we passed the border into Austria when we crossed the Saalach River without even noticing it - and the route was well signposted into the city. The last three kms were along the Salzach which flows through Salzburg.

We don't spend too much time in Salzburg. We stroll around the center with the rest of the tourists and have a bite to eat, but actually we want to be on our way, we want to finally get going on the Ciclovia Alpe-Adria!

There was no missing the route, Alpe-Adria is well signposted along the river when you leave the city. In the beginning, the path is pretty straight, there are trees to block your view and you've got gravel under your wheels. My shoulders were beginning to hurt. But that doesn't go on forever. At Hallein we still followed the direction of the Salzach but no longer hugged its banks which made for more scenic and interesting riding.

There are two sides to every story. When we got home, our granddaughter said she loved the ride out of Salzburg along the Salzach. After being very excited, and a bit anxious, to finally be on her way (she started her solo tour in Salzburg), she found the path so peaceful and soothing. It made her very happy.

We booked a room in Golling for the night. We are no longer booking days in advance, but rather waiting to see how far we want to ride and how the day is going. Along the Alpe-Adria bike path it was no problem to book the evening before or else the same day. That we could be flexible and didn't have to stick to a schedule was especially helpful when there was bad weather. And bad weather there was.

In our Bikeline bicycle guide we read that tomorrow we will have a 15 km stretch on the busy road over Pass Lueg. They even suggest taking a train to avoid the traffic. But if this is a popular bike route and it is only 15 km, how bad can that be? Now the worrier (me) is worried.

Market in Freilassing
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the many bicycle bridges over the Salzach
Heart 3 Comment 0
Approaching Salzburg along the river with view to Hohensalzburg Fortress and the mountains
Heart 5 Comment 0
Interesting design on the power plant and dam on the Salzach
Heart 4 Comment 0
We're in Salzburg and that's Mozart's birth house straight ahead.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Baroque facades in Salzburg
Heart 2 Comment 0
Residenz Square with fountain
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNice how they have the fountains going there - not every city does that!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Detail from the fountain: The fountain is considered to be one of the most significant baroque monuments in Europe today. The work is attributed to the Italian sculptor, Tommaso di Garone.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Residenz fountain detail
Heart 2 Comment 0
We are now on our way on the long straight path.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bridge over the Salzach
Heart 5 Comment 1
Scott AndersonBeautiful. This reminds me of the bridges in Japan.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Another bridge over the Salzach and the mountains are getting closer.
Heart 5 Comment 0
We have left the path along the river, and have charming countryside once again.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Elaborate farmhouse woodwork
Heart 3 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltAlong with a nice fence!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Probably the last mowing of the season
Heart 3 Comment 0
We have reached Golling, destinaton for the day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Golling
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0