Day 3: To Kisslegg - Autumn in Allgäu - CycleBlaze

October 10, 2021

Day 3: To Kisslegg

Where's the sun? We expected early morning fog but by 1o:30 it still hadn't dissipated. Fog and 9 degrees feels cold. Hoping for the best and with all my warm layers on - except for my pyjamas which might have helped - we got on our bikes. Again our route didn't disappoint us as we rode between open pastures, some woods and over hills. Kisslegg promised an interesting baroque church, St. Gallus and Ulrich, and was to be the first stop on our planned loop.

View to a foggy morning from our hotel window
Heart 4 Comment 0
Grey skies
Heart 1 Comment 0
Quiet country roads
Heart 2 Comment 0
Today all asphalt
Heart 5 Comment 0
Turkeys, no wild ones around here though
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A monument to Count Zeppelin
Heart 2 Comment 0
Count Zeppelin, conquerer of the air, landed here on January 17, 1906 under duress during a storm
Heart 2 Comment 0

The highlight of the ride were the cows out to pasture. They were at quite a distance when I stopped at the  fence to get a picture. I guess they decided to have a look at us, too. The whole herd started marching slowly in our direction.

Grazing peacefully
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here they come.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThose cows are so cute! :) Like Elsie the Cow. :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Getting closer
Heart 3 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltCurious cows! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
And closer
Heart 6 Comment 0
And closer
Heart 3 Comment 0

Janos's video tells it much better. 

We stopped now and again for a picture, but I was shivering by the time we got to Kisslegg. I was only interested in a hot bowl of soup and a hot cup of tea. The little restaurant was busy serving a party of 20 and our orders took quite a while. That was fine with me, more time in the warm indoors.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Almost finished before I thought to take a picture
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGood you all get out to ride when it's cold - makes enjoying the warm indoors and hot beverages/soups even better! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

By the time we came out the sun was shining! But it didn't feel that much warmer and we decided not to ride our full loop but to return the way we came and be back before the temperature started to drop. 

First a look around Kisslegg.

Blue skies when we finished eating.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Here some shots from the interior of the beautiful baroque church, St. Gallus and Ulrich. Fortunately I had my small and light tripod with me which made it possible to photograph in low light.

Heart 3 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltOh my goodness - what a beautiful church!! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI love going to small concerts in churches like this. :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kisslegg's castle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunnier views on the way home
Heart 1 Comment 0

We were back at our hotel at 3:30, and it wasn't going to get any warmer today.

We made sure to get a table tonight - yesterday, a Saturday night, it wasn't so easy - and reserved for a change.

A clear sky as we head for Gasthof Mohrenpost for dinner
Heart 2 Comment 0

It was a good meal and a good wine and as we were about to pay and leave, I noticed some familiar faces a few tables away. Hmm, Inge and Gerhart must have doppelgangers, I thought. But it was Inge and Gerhart from Kassel whom we hadn't seen for six years! What an odd but happy coincidence. We spent another hour together and finally wobbled home on legs shaky from hills and wine.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 29 km (18 miles)
Total: 110 km (68 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Scott AndersonBeautiful post, and worth it just for the video.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Rachael AndersonJanos says thanks, best quality you know!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago