Day 2: To Lake Constance - Autumn in Allgäu - CycleBlaze

October 9, 2021

Day 2: To Lake Constance

 We took our time getting ready, waiting for the mercury to climb. We try to find the sweet spot of these days whose morning and evening temperatures are a bit too cool for comfort, at least for me. That sweet spot lies between 10:30 and 4:30, which gives us plenty of time for the distances we cycle - well, if we didn't stop constantly for pictures. We start by riding down to Lake Constance, mostly down with some sharp little climbs along the way. We also have the wind at our backs. That's like starting with the dessert. The main course was the return uphill as the wind picked up in the afternoon. 

After yesterday's ride I concluded that with all the quiet country roads, there is no need for dedicated bicycle paths here, a premature generalization. Today we had a bit of everything: country roads, bike paths next to busy roads and unpaved paths for bikers and walkers alond the River Argen. None of which detracted from the lovely Allgäu countryside.

Again the sun is shinng.
Heart 4 Comment 0
My friends
Heart 3 Comment 0
Making hay
Heart 6 Comment 0

The milder macroclimate of Lake Constance is evident when we begin to see fields of hops poles and apple farms as we get closer to the lake. Our route flattens and on the last kilometers we follow the Argen River on unpaved paths for walkers and cyclists.  

Hops poles after the harvest
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltInteresting to see Hops poles!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Apple farms
Heart 1 Comment 0
Argen and cairns
Heart 3 Comment 0
We cross the Argen several times.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Suspension bridge from 1897
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Finally Bodensee, Lake Constance. We find a bench in the sun and eat our sandwiches that we brought from home the day before yesterday. They kept well in the car, as cold or colder than a fridge. It's windy for a picnic and we don't have to look far for a cafe with sunny tables protected from the wind for a coffee/tea and cake to round off our meal.

Heart 4 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltLake Constance is lovely!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 2 Comment 0

The air is warmer now, I can take off one of my layers in spite of the chilling wind for the return trip. We are no longer interested in photo stops and just enjoy the scenery, this time from the other direction. Supported by our e-bikes, we work our way up the hills that we had coasted down and vice versa.   

Homeward bound
Heart 6 Comment 0

Another wonderful October day on our bikes.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 81 km (50 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0