Day 14 - Schenectady to Fort Plain - Alex Bikes (Portsmouth to Syracuse) 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 30, 2023

Day 14 - Schenectady to Fort Plain

Today was a great day. The hotel last night was the reset button I needed before getting on the canal trail.

Took a leisurely morning enjoy the breakfast buffet and coffee station before packing up. Cleaned and oiled my chain in the parking lot then set out for the canal path which was a few blocks away. 

The canal path (aka the Empire State Trail) is really nice. It’s mostly separated from traffic and has few hills. I felt much better physically today and was buoyed mentally by the low-stress riding too. No route-finding is needed so I could cruise along the canal listening to music.

A big bonus was meeting several other bicycle tourists along the route. Eric from NYC, a couple of guys from Cleveland, two women from Providence, one from Buffalo, and several other folks I didn’t get a chance to chat with. 

Ended the day at the lock in Fort Plain where I shared a beer and some stories with Steve from Ontario. Lock camping is a real treat; it’s free, right on the water, not crowded, and this one had a toilet and potable water.

Just as the day was coming to a close a gentleman and his peacock came by. Not something I would’ve expected but it seemed a fitting conclusion to a brazzle dazzle day.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltDames rocket. Invasive but edible, and actually fairly good and nutritious. Had some from the trailside a few days ago.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/47697/browse_photos
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Alex K.Thanks, Bill. Unfortunate that they’re invasive, but they sure have added some nice color to the ride. I won’t feel bad for picking a few though!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0