My friend the wind - The ninth step ... Somewhere in South Africa - CycleBlaze

December 4, 2020

My friend the wind

Rietbron to Beaufort West

We didn't sleep that well last night.  It was pretty hot and we were in danger of being carried away by the mosquitoes.  We had a long day ahead of us with the first sixty six kilometers on gravel road.  So when the alarm clock woke us at five o'clock I thought we would be in for a tough day.  But that's not how it turned out.

The morning was cloudy and pretty cool and the temperature never rose above twenty five degrees.  The wind was on our right shoulders for almost the whole ride and was fresh enough to be a real helping hand.  Apart from the first few kilometers out of Rietbron the road varied from good to excellent.  And to top it all there was almost no traffic (just sixteen vehicles on the sixty six kilometers of gravel until we hit the R61 between Aberdeen and Beaufort West).  Despite the fact the gravel section was a slight uphill all the way it was another really enjoyable ride.

The sign warns against loose gravel but the road was great.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the wonderful packed earth sections.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the seemingly abandoned farm houses. This one at the 41 kilometer mark appeared to have water available and may be a good wild camping option.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another Leopard Tortoise.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The first bit of surface water we have seen in a week (when we crossed the Sundays River). This is a scrape in the ground that is fed from a borehole.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We cruised into Beaufort West two hours earlier than expected and checked into a small garden flatlet about a kilometer from the center of town.  We will spend two nights here, giving us time to decide what route we will take as we carry on.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 86 km (53 miles)
Total: 443 km (275 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0