Harpers Ferry to Williamsport - Two Wheels, One Heart - CycleBlaze

October 12, 2023

Harpers Ferry to Williamsport

Across the river and through the woods

My pal Allen paying the tax
Heart 1 Comment 0

I retraced my steps from last night to say goodbye to the Mountaineer State. Across the Potomac and paying the tax again to reenter Maryland by the descending the precarious iron steps with a 35 pound steel Kona Sutra and loaded panniers. 

Hunger was the motivating force this morning. I opted to skip the hotel breakfast and pedal to Shepardstown to visit Betty's Restaurant for comforting mountain breakfast. I found this small town diner several years back and made it a return to tradition. 

Betty's Diner on Shepherdstown, a tour tradition
Heart 0 Comment 0

Shepardstown sits high above the river with a switchback that takes you up to the town across the Potomac. It is a quaint college town with a main street with the four things a cyclist needs: a bike shop, diner, coffee shop, and beer. I had the hot roast beef sandwich and fries smothered in gravy. 

Returning to the towpath, I came to the end of the renovated towpath surface that was so enjoyable for the last 55 miles. The bonus was the Big Slackwater in front of my handlebars. Dams 4 and 5 create large sections of water, slackwater, that feed the canal assuring a consistent level of water for passage. A 2. 7 mile concrete walkway hugs the water for a spectacular view, truly a highlight of a C&O tour. 

Big Slackwater walkway
Heart 1 Comment 0

The final miles entered the forest with an occasional view of the Potomac. The trail condition, although not the newly renovated surface, was decent. I turned off at the Cushwa Basin and headed up the hill into Williamsport for the night. It was another stellar day on the trail.

Today's route

Heart 0 Comment 0

Any day on a bike is a good day! 

Tom on the Trails

A taste of Harpers Ferry
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 251 miles (404 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0