In the Dolomites - 2 Good Blokes get lost in Europe - CycleBlaze

May 6, 2023

In the Dolomites

Innsbruck to Brunico

We ate in again last night and had steak, sausages and mash with zucchini and of course white asparagus. It is in season and delicious.

We were up early and ready to go in record time. Today is the crossing of the Alps at the Brenner pass which should have involved two big climbs separated by a flat section that would have taken all morning to get over. Unfortunately this is about the only section of the Munich Venice route that isn’t a bike path and the road is busy with no shoulder and dangerous. We did the sensible thing and caught a train to the top.

That saved us about 5 hours.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We’re now in Italy, not that you can really tell because all the folk seem to being talking in German and most signs are in both languages. The cappuccino we had at Brenner was the real deal. In front of us is a thirty kilometre descent on a dedicated path. The gradient is pretty good so there’s not much brake action happening and the views of course are spectacular. I haven’t exactly earned this cruise of a descent but I’ll take it. If you were crossing Brenner coming from Italy it would suck having slogged up the hill and then having to catch a train down the other side.

We’re going faster than the trucks on the other side.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

The path is excellent. Generally away from the road, wide and smooth I’ve got my feet up on the handlebar, a Campari and soda in one hand and a Galloise in the other. It’s a very narrow valley we’re following with little villages dotted in the hills each with its own church making me wonder how many churches there are in Europe. At a guess I would say lots.

These herbs would all go well on white asparagus.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

After lunch we’re done with the downhill and we start a long slow climb into the Dolomites that will take us higher than the Brenner pass by tomorrow evening. Tonight we’re camping for the first time and we’ve found an almost deserted campground just out of Brunica. It started raining not long after pitching our tents and continued as we rode uphill for two kilometres to a pizza restaurant. It was worth it for the white asparagus and spinach pizza. Simple and delicious.

I’ve taken so many photos today but unsurprisingly they all look somewhat similar. Think bike rider, snow capped peak and quaint village. Heres a few more in case you don’t believe me.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 85 km (53 miles)
Total: 940 km (584 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Kirsten KaarsooSorry you missed Brenner. It was one of our favourite rides and views along with Fern pass the day before on our trip in 2019. We went along the East bank of the Sill river through the towns of Isgl, Patsch and Steinach am Brenner. Through those towns it was a designated bike path with moderate traffic. You can see our ride ride on this link. https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/lecce/day-24-telfs-au-to-scaives-it/
Totally, agree that the Italians have the got great bike paths etc.
Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Dennis LangleyThanks. It’s been amazing despite the crap weather!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago