I love the Dolomites - 2 Good Blokes get lost in Europe - CycleBlaze

May 7, 2023

I love the Dolomites

Brunico to Cortina

It was a slightly soggy ride back to our campsite from last nights restaurant but it was at least downhill. The rain kept up most of the night and my tent had a micro leak. Every time I fell asleep I got 1 drop on my head. Then nothing for an hour then 1 more drop. My tent is so small I couldn’t really move as I had all my gear in with me. Packing up a wet tent is one of life’s great joys, along with a 2 hour Oom Pah Pah band recital and root canal surgery.

Heart 3 Comment 4
Kevin JonesMon ami
Loving every minute of your report. Tommy is a gem!
After a round table conference here at the Aged Care centre it was agreed unanimously to conference the Nobel prize for medicine on you; Brainfart describes the symptoms of Dementia!
Love your work!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Dennis LangleyThanks Kev. We’ll catch up when I get back in late May!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Steve Whanglad you took a photo, so you can remember where you left it ....
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Dennis LangleyTouché! Our camp spot looks somewhat like Edi Cutting but there were no rogue foxes present
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Looking down to Brunico
Heart 4 Comment 0

By morning it had cleared and despite the ominous forecast of rain and snow we managed the entire day with neither. It was a big climbing day today, not helped by a 150 metre descent in a lift to take us from the village we camped near down to the track on the valley floor. It’s a ski town and the chairlift and gondola start from there as well.

Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
The split timber stacks are a work of art.
Heart 6 Comment 0

It took us until 2.45 to get to the top but we did stop for 2 breakfasts and morning tea and lunch. All the places we stopped at the staff were still speaking German and it wasn’t until we got to Cortina that it felt like Italy. It’s Sunday so there’s not many places open but the ones that are are full. There’s all ages present, all having a good old chin wag and not a mobile phone to be seen (except ours) They seem to be partaking in conversation. How weird.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
The Feuerwehr festival is on today with a 2 hour Oom Pah Pah band recital. Luckily we got there for the last tune.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We seem to be heading towards an impossibly thin canyon with dramatic cliffs and snowdrifts that seem not much higher than us. It’s still warm and the track is as always wide and in great condition.

That peak in the distance is slowly getting closer.
Heart 6 Comment 0
We’re heading right up the guts.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Same peak
Heart 4 Comment 0

Having finally reached the top of the pass there’s about 15 kilometres down to Cortina. With some dark snow laden clouds looming we’re pretty keen to get there as soon as possible. The track crosses numerous avalanche screes which my tyres definitely aren’t designed for but with a bit of sliding and gentle nursing I got down without any mishaps.

The first fort built entirely of concrete in Europe except for Greece where they’ve been doing that for ages.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Cortina is a pretty cool town. It hosted the 2006 Winter Olympics so we book into the Olimpia Hotel because it seemed like the right thing to do and it was the closest hotel to the bar that we collapsed into upon reaching Cortina.

After 5 days of riding in the mountains they are still as mesmerising as the first day. I’m not sure if the locals just take it for granted but they are just amazing. And today was probably the best day of the lot.

Massive layers of scree.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Chasing the snow clouds.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Bob KoreisIs this a route you mapped out or a marked bike route? I've not seen photos of this road in any journals or touring route websites.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Dennis LangleyTo Bob KoreisThis is part of the Munich Venice cycle route.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Tomorrow we head further downhill and leave the Dolomites behind as we head south .

The local brew.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 996 km (619 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Kirsten KaarsooWe really enjoyed that ride too but we weren’t being chased my snow clouds. The Dolomites are very impressive mountains. Enjoy Cortina.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Matthew HealeyTruly amazing scenery. Shame about the rain and cold, but you seem to be making the most of it anyway. Cathie xx
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Dennis LangleyOn the flat lands of The Veneto now. It’s warm and sunny. Dolomites we’re fantastic despite the weather
Reply to this comment
10 months ago