Day 9 Kenmore to Seattle: The Unfamiliar Familiar - 2 For the Road - CycleBlaze

July 12, 2017

Day 9 Kenmore to Seattle: The Unfamiliar Familiar

After an amazing sleep (I need to expand my vocabulary – any suggestions for other words to use?) in the quiet of Jean’s home, we got up to another refreshing breakfast of fresh fruit. Jean gave us some great directions (and last night had driven back that way just so we could see where we were going to go – how nice!) and we were off, saying goodbye to Jean and Arrow, who didn’t seem to want us to go! We sure hope we see you on STP, Jean!

Jean and Arrow
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arrow didn't want us to go I think
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode down the hill from Jean’s a very short way and were soon on the Burke Gilman Trail, a 27 mile trail that runs from Seattle up to Bothell. This is a multi-use trail that is very popular with cyclists, joggers and walkers. It runs along side of Lake Washington, although much of the time the lake is hidden by the many houses that line the lake.

heading down the Burke Gilman trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped briefly at the Harvest Bakery, which Jean had suggested, for some yummy pastries before heading off. The ride down this trail is wonderful and we continue to be amazed at the cycling infrastructure we have found in Seattle. I grew up here and yet had no idea of all of the incredible cycling trails that abound in this area. It is possible to cycle through so much of this part of the Pacific Northwest without every riding on roads. I wish that Vancouver, BC could have something like this!

As we came down the trail, we saw a couple of familiar faces. They, too, recognized us and we all met up to chat along the side of the trail.

We meet up with Jacky and Tom again!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tom and Jacky, who we had met up in Arlington the other day (she had stopped, he hadn’t that day) were a delight to talk to, telling us about some of their many journeys and giving us some tips on how best to get to the coast south of Eugene. Thanks so much, you two – you are truly inspiring to us!!

A quick stop to check out Husky Stadium - woof!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We made our way down through the campus of the University of Washington, where we briefly chatted with a woman whose mother used to pastor a church near where our kids live on Vancouver Island – what a small world this is, indeed! Leaving the University, we headed off to ride through the Arboretum, a lovely little stretch but quite busy near the top (we walked this part rather than hold up the traffic which was quite heavy). The route from here was a very familiar one that we have ridden before and we were soon back along the shores of Lake Washington.

Our view from our lunch stop today at Leschi
Heart 0 Comment 0

A quick stop for lunch in the community of Leschi and we rode the last bit to my brother, Mike’s house. He and his wife, Leslie, were at work, but had given us the code to get in.

The bags made it into my brother Mike's house. I didn't take a picture of the explosion cause I don't want my sister-in-law, Leslie to know how bad it looked!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We brought all of our panniers in and of course, they exploded all over the living room. We sorted and cleaned and packed everything away – some to be transported to Portland by Leslie in her car and some to go along to our rest stop in Napavine while we ride the STP.

After packing up, we showered and retired to the backyard where we both enjoyed a much deserved cold beer! The next two days are rest days in Seattle while we visit with family and get ready for our ride to Portland. It will certainly be a different kind of riding, not carrying everything with us and trying to keep up with the 10,000 other “friends” riding. We sure do hope we manage to see our two Warmshowers friends, Renee and Jean, though!

Ah, a nice way to relax after a lovely ride
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 246 km (153 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0