Day 3 - Nanaimo to Duncan: Mama said there'd be days like this... - 2 For the Road - CycleBlaze

July 6, 2017

Day 3 - Nanaimo to Duncan: Mama said there'd be days like this...

Living Forest in Nanaimo gets a 10 out of 10 on my private campground rating scale
Heart 1 Comment 0

We thought we had planned out our day well, having done this section several years ago. The problem then was a late start (well, that’s my excuse anyways). Using the back roads from Nanaimo to Duncan is much more scenic but hilly. Unfortunately, the hills were still there and so was the heat, despite our starting out much earlier than the last time. I will learn to love hills, I am sure, but not on this day. They were brutal and by the time we hit Duncan I was done.

However, they day held many good moments for us. The scenery along this stretch is just beautiful. So much picturesque farmland and although the shoulders were narrow, the traffic was light.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We stopped briefly in Ladysmith for second breakfast at Tim Horton’s (a Canadian favourite) before taking the backroad to Chemainus.

Heart 1 Comment 0

This is a very small town, most well known for the murals painted all around. We took a break here to get some shots and also rest and hydrate of course. I am finding with the bike so loaded that it is very difficult for me to reach down and grab my water bottle, so stopping every so often for a drink is important.

really worth stopping to see
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

On our way out of Chemainus we met Jerod from Colorado. This young man had ridden down from Parksville that morning and was on his way to Salt Spring Island. We had a great chat about the joys of cycling in BC and then he was on his way. Travelling a lot lighter than us (not to mention a few years younger) he quickly wished us well and sped off to his ferry. He’s heading down the coast, and is stopping to do some hiking, so we may run into him again. If not, hope you have a great journey, Jerod!

we saw this old garage the last time we came this way - the vines look about the same, so someone's been trimming this I think!
Heart 0 Comment 0

As I said earlier, by the time we arrived in Duncan, I as toast. Too hot and tired after walking up Bell McKinnon road once again, I was not in the mood for any more hills. However, Google Maps did not understand my delema and routed us along the “Friendship Trail”, which was quite lovely except for the steep gravel hill we had to push the bikes up. Thankfully, after that it was a short ride (after stopping for iced coffee, of course) to the campground.

Riverside Campground is a eclectic little spot along the river in Duncan. Our camping spot was perfect, though, and we were happy to find shade, grass, free showers and flush toilets – what else could a girl want? With the tent set up we both showered and then cooked dinner. Thankfully there was enough ingredients left over from last night to make dinner once again as I don’t think either one of us had the energy to ride out to the grocery store across the river. Desert was thanks to a former student, Junior, who dropped by on my last day of school with the students to give me a little gift, which included a Mr. Big bar, perfect for sharing – thanks, Junior!

After a few rounds of Gin (the card game, not the drink), we were ready for bed. Thankfully, by that time all the kids playing in the campground were also in bed and we had a quiet and peaceful sleep.

Our camp site for the night. On the private campsite scale, this one get's a 4. Free showers, very cheap and quiet, just a little strange camping next to a giant boat!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0