Montceau-les-Mines - Chagny: Lots of locks - Brittany - Loire Valley - Burgundy - CycleBlaze

July 7, 2010

Montceau-les-Mines - Chagny: Lots of locks

Our route continues along the Canal du Centre, just at one point does it detour into the hills, which means work for us but at the same time a pleasant change.

Smooth ride along the Canal du Centre
Heart 0 Comment 0
To avoid a busier road we take a scenic detour.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are now slowly gaining altitude. The locks on the canal are closer together and higher. Lock for lock, we approach the watershed between the Atlantic and Mediterranean where "Ecluse N°. 1 Méd" and "Ecluse N°. 1 Océan" meet. Yes, and the pedalling really does get easier when we reach lock number 1 on the downhill side although the gradient is minimal.

The locks are now closer together and higher.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have reached the watershed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The locks have really captivated our interest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The countryside is becoming more interesting, mountains crop up and we see some of the famous vineyards of Burgundy. The only flaw today is the persistent headwind, otherwise a gorgeous day of cycling. I think I am enjoying it more than the better known Loire bike path.

Hills of Burgundy
Heart 1 Comment 0
Descending the rise of one of the locks
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have already reached number 16 on the way down.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Vineyards and scenery of Burgundy
Heart 1 Comment 0

We end the day in a great little campground in Chagny, well-run by a young and charming French-Brazilian couple. The giant screen set up at their little restaurant for the World Cup Semi-Final, Germany vs. Spain, makes the day perfect - at least for Janos, for me not so important. The Spanish are better and deserve their victory.

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 1,420 km (882 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0