Seurre - St. Jean de Losne - Dijon: The final straw - Brittany - Loire Valley - Burgundy - CycleBlaze

July 9, 2010

Seurre - St. Jean de Losne - Dijon: The final straw

Remember, a week or so ago when Jaap told Janos to save the worn tire just in case? Today we could have used it. Alas, the quality of the new tire isn't the best and not designed for loaded touring, in fact it was probably only intended for a child's bike.

We haven't even covered 20 km when Janos has a flat. When he starts to repair it, he discovers a long tear where the tire meets the rim. The little town of St-Jean-de-Losne doesn't have a bicycle shop, but fortunately it is on the train line. We have a few hours wait for the next train to Dijon where we are sure to find a new tire.

Waiting for the train to Dijon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The local train thankfully has a low entry, allowing us to roll the loaded bikes on board.
Heart 0 Comment 0

This is all frustrating and discouraging, especially since our motivation to continue has been slowly ebbing.

But why do we think we HAVE to continue? And why don't we FEEL like continuing? In retrospect, why did we feel it was WRONG not to continue? Why do I NOW wish we had continued? Once back home, I don't have many answers to my state of mind while on the road.

In Dijon, instead of looking for a bicycle shop and getting set up for the rest of the trip, we just bought train tickets back to Munich.

For the return trip to Munich from Dijon we must change trains in Besançon, Strasbourg and Stuttgart.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our train is scheduled to depart the next day at 7:34 a.m. After finding a hotel, we walk listlessly around the old part of Dijon, a lovely city that we aren't up to appreciating today. The afternoon, evening and night turn out to be unbearably hot.

A hot afternoon in the streets of Dijon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving our hotel in the morning for the last leg - to the train station
Heart 0 Comment 0

And that was the end of the trip. The train followed much of the route we would have cycled. I kept my eyes glued to the Doubs River and could often spot the bike path we might have taken. I can add it to my long list of places I want to see by bike.

Today's ride: 18 km (11 miles)
Total: 1,497 km (930 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0