Chateauneuf-s-Loire - Gien: Many happy returns - Brittany - Loire Valley - Burgundy - CycleBlaze

June 30, 2010

Chateauneuf-s-Loire - Gien: Many happy returns

Today is Janos's birthday! Bonne anniversaire! If birthday wishes were granted, he might have wished for a cooler day. The heat spell is on and we have another debilitating, hot day on our bikes.

While Ineke sets out in one direction to retrieve her water bottle that she left someplace yesterday, Jaap, Janos and I head for Germigny-des-Prés. We will meet up again in front of the chateau in Sully.

Janos outside the tent working on his journal. A chair would have been more comfortable.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In Germigny-des-Prés is a small, unpretentious church at first glance. It is one of the few surviving buildings from the Carolingian Renaissance, a tiny, perfectly formed church in the shape of a Greek cross, built in 806.

St-Germigny-des-Prés
Heart 0 Comment 0
St-Germigny-des-Prés
Heart 0 Comment 0
St-Germigny-des-Prés: The unique gold and silver mosaic on the dome of the eastern chapel was only discovered by accident in the middle of last century when children were found playing with coloured glass cubes in the church.
Heart 1 Comment 0

A few kilometers further, in St-Benoit-s-Loire we visit the Romanesque Abbaye de Fleury, built between 1020 and 1218. The fantastically sculpted capitals are adorned with acanthus leaves, birds and exotic animals.

Romanesque Abbaye de Fleury in St-Benoit-s-Loire
Heart 0 Comment 0
Capital in the Abbaye de Fleury
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mary's flight into Egypt
Heart 0 Comment 0

We cycle on to Sully where we meet Ineke - she found her water bottle - and picnic with the picture-book chateau and moat as a backdrop.

He says it's not true and I should be nice to him on his birthday.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Shady picnic spot in Sully
Heart 1 Comment 0
Chateau in Sully
Heart 1 Comment 0

In the afternoon we all feel the heat as we continue to our destination for the day, Gien.

Cycling with Ineke
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hot
Heart 0 Comment 0

After setting up camp, resting and the usual chores (laundry), we cross the bridge into town for well deserved nourishment. And a little birthday celebrating.

Bridge to Gien
Heart 0 Comment 0
We celebrate.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 1,086 km (674 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0