Wurzburg - Erlabrunn: Residences and gardens - Spring Tour in Bavaria 2010 - Part 2 - CycleBlaze

April 24, 2010

Wurzburg - Erlabrunn: Residences and gardens

We're out bright and early to be first in line when Würzburg's Residence opens. Today is a Saturday and we know the palace attracts great crowds. We are there shortly before it opens and only one other family is waiting. When we leave, the place is buzzing with visitors.

Waiting for the Residence to open
Heart 0 Comment 0

This is the former residence of the Würzburg prince-bishops and is one of the most important baroque palaces in Europe, today on UNESCO's World Heritage list. It was designed by the then young and unknown architect Balthasar Neumann. The other name most commonly associated with the Residence is Giovanni Battista Tiepolo, the greatest fresco painter of the 18th century. It took sixty years to complete the palace; the shell was built from 1720 to 1744 and the interior finished in 1780.

The Franconia fountain in front of the palace
Heart 0 Comment 0

As a result of the air raid in March 1945, the Residence burnt out almost completely. From 1945 until 1987 the building and its interiors were reconstructed to the tune of approximately 20 million Euros.

Most of the rooms of the Residence can only be visited on a guided tour. It was brilliant that we came so early as we almost have a private tour in a small group of five. Later on in the day, mobs of up to 60 or 70 visitors at a time will be led around.

Balthasar Neumann together with other artists and craftsmen in a joint creative undertaking produced what is called "Würzburg rococo", the most exuberant of all the variations of this style in Germany.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, what a great interior!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The magnificent stairs created by architect Balthasar Neumann with ceiling frescos by Giovanni Tiepolo
Heart 0 Comment 0
Detail of ceiling fresco: It's hard to distinguish where the two dimensional fresco becomes three dimensional sculpture.
Heart 2 Comment 0

After our tour of the Residence we visit the Hofgarten or Court Gardens which are open to the public and very popular.

Entrance to the Court Gardens
Heart 1 Comment 0
French style gardens with sculpted trees
Heart 1 Comment 0
Side view of the palace
Heart 2 Comment 0
The palace as seen from the Court Gardens
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is the view when you lie on your stomach in front of the flower beds.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wine has always played an important role in the region.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We pick up our bags at the hotel and head for the river. Having seen the prince-bishops' Würzburg Residence, we would like to see their more modest summer palace and its impressive rococo gardens just a few kilomteres to the north.

Our path follows the river to Veitshöchheim where we visit the prince-bishops' somewhat more modest Summer Palace and its gardens.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The prince-bishops' Summer Residence, built at approximately the same time as the more imposing Residence in Würzburg
Heart 1 Comment 0
Figures in the gardens of the Summer Residence
Heart 0 Comment 0

A week-end and good weather on a popular bike path, hmmm. Last night we decided it would be better to book a room in advance than to take our chances Saturday afternoon. We picked an address at random out of our bicycle touring guide and are pleasantly surprised by our choice: The guesthouse is in the pretty little wine-growing village of Erlabrunn, the rooms are in what used to be the vintner's farm buildings.

We know what to expect in Erlabrunn
Heart 0 Comment 0
Streets of Erlabrunn
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our bicycles are safe in the courtyard, along with some viniculture artifacts.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our cheery country-style room at Gasthof Tenne
Heart 1 Comment 0
An antique wine press in the vestibule of our guesthouse. But what really caught my eye here was the Hohner accordion on top of the wardrobe - I was itching to get my hands on it.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltDo you play the accordion? :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

In the evening we enjoy the local wine with a meal of gigantic portions, much more than we deserved after such an indolent day.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0