Munchen - Bamberg: Back in Bamberg - Spring Tour in Bavaria 2010 - Part 2 - CycleBlaze

April 20, 2010

Munchen - Bamberg: Back in Bamberg

The good weather continues. We completed our first mini-tour of the spring season ten days ago and are now picking up where we left off, following the Main River and watching it expand from the original trickle to a river of respectable size. This section of the Main will take us from beer-brewing Franconia to wine-growing Franconia.

Traveling by train within Bavaria, we can use the Bayern-Ticket, 28€ valid one day for a group of up to five, regardless of the distance. A good deal. Often young people, usually students with limited funds, will ask if we have a Bayern-Ticket and if they can go along as part of our "group". We're happy to do them the favor. We change trains in Nürnberg, an exemplary train station with lifts to each and every platform, and are in Bamberg in the early afternoon. This leaves us plenty of time for the sights that we neglected last time.

We almost feel like commuters on the Munich-Nürenberg train
Heart 1 Comment 0
Market place in Bamberg
Heart 1 Comment 0
The season for asparagus is limited from April to June which makes it all the more coveted.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI LOVE the white spargel in the Spring!!!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Beautiful white aparagus grown in Franconia, the fatter the better - and the more expensive. Green asparagus is usually imported from Greece and not as popular.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Untere Brücke (Lowere Bridge) as seen from the Obere Brücke (Upper Bridge) in Bamberg.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We walked up to the Domberg (Cathderal Hill).

Rooftops of Bamberg from the Domberg
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bamberg, like Rome, is built on seven hills, each one with a church at the top. View of St. Michael's from the Cathedral Hill (Domberg)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bamberger Reiter: a life-size stone equestrian statue in the cathedral of Bamberg, considered the first monumental equestrian statue since classical antiquity.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Last Judgment, Bamberger Dom: The damned seem to be having a good time, but I suppose those are supposed to be grimaces of pain, not pleasure.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The statues of Adam and Eve which decorate the Adamspforte of the Bamberger Dom were the first monumental nude sculptures in German art.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Marienaltar, by Veit Stoss, created in 1523, one of the cathedral's impressive altars
Heart 1 Comment 0
Walking through "Die Schöne Pforte" or "Beautiful Gate" takes you to the inner courtyard of the Old Court. On either side of the Renaissance archway to the Old Court are reclining figures which represent the Main River and the Regnitz River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the figure on the right representing the Regnitz River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Alte Hofhaltung: Old Court. Surrounded by half timbered buildings, the old court was the center of the former imperial and bishop's palace.
Heart 0 Comment 0
20 - C - M - B - 10. In Southern Germany on Three Kings Day, January 6, the year and the initials C M B are written in chalk over doorways. Popular belief is that the letters stand for the Three Wise Men, Caspar, Melchior and Balthasar. They might also stand for Christus Mansionem Benedicat, Christ bless this house.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Walk back down to the town on quiet streets
Heart 0 Comment 0
Zooming in on the Cathedral towers from below
Heart 1 Comment 0

We get to see a little more of Bamberg, but actually we're looking for a nice place to eat. We end up at the traditional beer pub and restaurant Schlenkerla.

St. Florian, the patron saint against fire, is popular on house facades.
Heart 1 Comment 0
More facade figures for blessing and protection
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A sample of the many kinds of beer to be found in Bamberg
Heart 0 Comment 0
We tried smoke beer (Rauchbier). Tasted like someone forgot to open the chimney flue - not my favorite.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0