Bamberg - Schweinfurt: Bright sun and a cold wind - Spring Tour in Bavaria 2010 - Part 2 - CycleBlaze

April 21, 2010

Bamberg - Schweinfurt: Bright sun and a cold wind

We're traveling light this time around. Knowing it will be a short trip, no camping, and being close to home gives me the security to leave all figurative "security blankets" at home. My panniers are no where near full. We also left our laptop at home and what we had with us for six days would probably have been enough for six weeks, too.

We pick up the Main River outside of Bamberg and continue where we left off ten days ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I have rain gear and warm layers with me but only one pair of shoes, my Keen cycling sandals which with wool socks are wonderfully warm for cycling in cool weather and also fine for walking. Fortunately, we don't need the rain jackets and pants but the extra clothes for warmth are essential. Although sunny, the mornings are nippy with temperatures around 5°C/42°F and today we had a chilling headwind all day.

A sunny spring morning
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beautiful weather if you dress properly. My bags are very empty because I have almost everything on.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Janos attached a stop sign to his helmet for extra protection (supposed to be funny).
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Main Bike Path takes us past the pilgrimage church Maria Limbach, built by Balthasar Neumann, considered to be the most brilliant architect of South German baroque.

Pilgrimage church Maria Limbach: The plain facade doesn't prepare you for the elaborate baroque interior
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the lovely Balthasar Neumann church Maria Limbach, a statue of Saint Anthony and a pig. What does St. Anthony have to do with pigs? Anthony was known for miraculous healings, and as was the custom he sometimes treated skin diseases with applications of pork fat which reduced inflammation and itching. Over the years people no longer knew why he was shown in art accompanied by a pig. Probably on the assumption that he protected pigs or those working with pigs, swineherds centuries later took him as their patron saint. (saints.sqpn.com)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The first bright colors of the season along the Main Bike Path
Heart 1 Comment 0
Zeil am Main: More examples of the elaborate half-timbered facades of Franconia
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of the Main River
Heart 1 Comment 0

We end the day in Schweinfurt. We soon see that the city must have been heavily damaged in the Second World War. There are many post-war buildings and also reconstructed historical buildings but very little original substance. The city was known for many decades in Germany and far beyond as the 'Ball Bearing City' and still has much industry. Starting in 1904 Fichtel & Sachs produced hub gears here.

The name of the city Schweinfurt suggests that some time in history there was a river crossing or ford for swine here. However, it has been proven that this is historically incorrect. It will always remain an open question as to whether the name 'Schweinfurt' actually has anything to do with pigs at all.

Public art in Schweinfurt: Swine and swineherd
Heart 1 Comment 0
Townhall in Schweinfurt
Heart 1 Comment 0
Marke Square and Townhall, Schweinfurt
Heart 0 Comment 0
St. Johannis Kirche in Schweinfurt
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are now in the wine-growing part of Franconia
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0