Day 31: Lagruere - Sauveterre: Aurevoir, Garonne - From Munich to the Mediterranean and More - CycleBlaze

August 9, 2006

Day 31: Lagruere - Sauveterre: Aurevoir, Garonne

The morning is sparkling and cool as we follow the tow path another mere 2.5 km to where it stops in Mas d'Agenais, a village with an old 15th century market hall, originally a grain market. Today a large flea market is being held here, offering old books, all sorts of antiques and pretty paraphernalia that I can't imagine anyone has a use for anymore.

Le Mas d'Agenais: Flea market
Heart 0 Comment 0
Le Mas d'Agenais: Flea market
Heart 1 Comment 0
Le Mas d'Agenais: Flea market
Heart 1 Comment 0
Le Mas d'Agenais: Flea market
Heart 0 Comment 0
Le Mas d'Agenais: Flea market
Heart 0 Comment 0

Now we're back on small roads, no traffic, between corn fields, and with hefty headwinds. In La Réole it's time to say adieu to the flat cycling in the valley of the Garonne and head north to Sauveterre, where we will pick up the bike path to Bordeaux.

Still in the Valley of the Garonne
Heart 2 Comment 0
Time for a break: Pure pleasure
Heart 1 Comment 0

As we get into the hills, we enter scenic wine country with huge vineyards bordering the road. Hills are definitely more work than the flat country, but I often find the monotony of flat cycling more tiring. Of course I always groan when I see a climb coming, but I also enjoy the climbs - or maybe enjoy isn't the right word, perhaps the good feeling only comes when I reach the top.

Vineyards approaching Sauveterre
Heart 1 Comment 0

I was absolutely sure that I had heard of a campground in Sauveterre. Well, I was wrong. But the hotel we find is fine, the price for the room with evening meal and breakfast is 60 € for the two of us and the best part is that the evening meal is an all-you-can-eat buffet and good. Cyclists' paradise.

Our hotel in Sauveterre
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, an all-you-can-eat buffet? That's great!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 1,854 km (1,151 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0