Day 30: Agen - Lagruere: This campground I love - From Munich to the Mediterranean and More - CycleBlaze

August 8, 2006

Day 30: Agen - Lagruere: This campground I love

We mosey around Agen for a while in the morning, it's a pleasant town with charming old streets. Agen's highlight, however, is the canal-bridge which allows the Canal Latéral to cross the Garonne. The construction of the Canal Latéral was a brilliant piece of engineering at the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, opening up new possibilities for transporting goods coming from Sète to Toulouse on the Canal du Midi.

The Canal Latéral crosses over the Garonne on a bridge
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI've seen this type of water bridge in Scotland as well!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Engraving of the canal-bridge in the 19th century
Heart 1 Comment 0
The canal was dug from 1839 to 1856 between Toulouse and Castets en Dorthe. It joined up with the Canal du Midi to make the Canal des Deux Mers, which joins the Mediterranean to the Atlantic.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have no information on the Canal Latéral after it leaves Agen. Will there be a path that is good for cycling? We set out and find we can follow the canal for the rest of the day, the paths are fantastic.

Following the Canal latéral
Heart 2 Comment 0
Canal Latéral
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, that's a wide canal!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
A lock on the Canal Latéral
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another canal-bridge
Heart 1 Comment 0

In Buzet we leave the canal, not on purpose actually, but because we didn't find the continuation of our path. The detour on charming small roads takes us past fields of sunflowers, now withered, farms, small woods, one or two villages.

On the way to Lagruère
Heart 1 Comment 0

Later on we again find the canal, the excellent tow path is still there, and ride to the next campground at Lagruère. We deserve this campground after some of the bummers we've had. I feel comfortable here. The campground is located between the bank of the canal, where a few house boats tie up for the night, and fields, has sites for a dozen tents at the most, it is all very simple but with everything you need: peaceful surroundings, hot showers, as in almost every campground in France, and a little restaurant where we have an excellent meal with good wine.

Campground restaurant at Lagruère
Heart 1 Comment 0
Camp at Lagruère
Heart 1 Comment 0

It is full moon, is that why I sleep so poorly? Or is sleeping in a tent just not that comfortable. Lying awake, I hear owls hooting very close to our tent, maybe in the tree next to us. I love hearing their plaintive, haunting call in the night, it's almost worth not sleeping.

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 1,796 km (1,115 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0