Wildcamp on the Telleraga Road - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

April 19, 2024

Wildcamp on the Telleraga Road

Despite what the weather Gods had thrown at us, we ended up having an enjoyable stay in Collarenebri.   We were quite comfortable in the simple campground and enjoyed chatting to the other folk camping there.

Most of the rivers and creeks in the area have burst their banks. The picnic area alongside the Barwon River between the campground and Collarenebri was under water as well.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I think that it is going be a while before any work can be done in the cotton fields.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

About halfway into today's ride an enormous truck first passed us and then stopped alongside the road.  The driver asked if he could take a picture of us.  It turns out that it was David Batterham, a cyclist from Goondiwindi who has done a number of cycle tours raising money and awareness for Dementia Australia.  A really good bloke.

With Dave (and his truck).
Heart 3 Comment 0

We were intending to spend the night at the rest area near the Telleraga Road but it was in pretty shoddy condition.   There was no water in the tap at the toilet and the bins were full to overflowing.  Worse still, there were piles of rotten pulses (looked like some type of haricot or kidney bean) that stank to high heavens.  

So we cycled further on and turned down the Telleraga Road.  The area around the river was too overgrown but a large circular open area that appears to be a bus stop for school kids seemed a good place for the night.  It is fully visible to passing traffic but we're not too concerned about that. 

Just over fifty kilometers to Moree tomorrow where we have a motel room booked for the night.

Today's ride: 92 km (57 miles)
Total: 1,912 km (1,187 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Elspeth JarmanWow! Just catching up with your journey. What a time with all that rain, we feel for you. You sure won't forget your trip to Australia. Hope Queensland treats you more kindly.
Great photos as always.
Elsp
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Graham SmithUnlikely I know, but when you are Moree, you might be able find a couple in their 80s who are old family friends.

They’ll be staying at the van park for a month in a very flash van. They are there to make use of the natural spring spas to soothe a few aches and pains that afflict 80 year olds.

Noel and Jean Matthews. Lovely people. I saw them last week in Barraba when they were on the way to Moree.

Noel and my dad worked together as builders and carpenters for many years.
They’d be delighted to see cycle tourers.

The van park reception office would know them.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Graham Smith There are a few van parks in Moree but we spent the one night we were there in a motel, and have now carried on to Pallamallawa. It would have good having a natter with them.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago