Pallamallawa - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

April 21, 2024 to April 22, 2024

Pallamallawa

Sunday the 21st of April 2024

By the tine we arrived in Moree yesterday it was clear to both of us that our legs needed a bit of a rest.  So today we had a short ride planned to Pallamallawa with the option of taking a rest day there.

As it turned out, the short ride was tougher than it looked like on paper.  A strong easterly wind, gusting between forty and fifty kilometers per hour, meant we were down to single digit speeds at times.  

There was nothing of real interest to photograph along the way. The only time I hauled my camera out was to fail at getting shots of a pair of Wedge-tailed Eagles (Aquila audax). All I managed were some very long distance shots as they disappeared over the horizon.
Heart 2 Comment 0

It was a relief to turn northwards off the Gwydir Highway for the last two kilometers into the village.  We settled in at the campground next to the pub.  When I went to pay I was told there would be no charge because we weren't going to be hooking up to power.   So however basic the facilities might be they are cheap at the price.

We had supper planned and bought before we left Moree - artisinal bread, olives, sun-dried tomatoes,  marinated capsicum etc with a bottle of wine - so we will have to repay their generosity by visiting the pub tomorrow. 

Monday the 22nd of April 2024

A proper day.  Leigh read a book.  I had a short walk.  I sat in my chair and stared at the trees.  Every now and then I picked up my binoculars. 

The trees were busy with Rainbow Lorikeets (Trichoglossus haematodus). Difficult to photograph because they are usually hidden in the foliage.
Heart 5 Comment 0

in between we did our laundry.   Supper was at the bistro attached to the pub  - the Australian classic of chicken parmi with chips and salad. 

Heading for Croppa Creek tomorrow. 

Today's ride: 34 km (21 miles)
Total: 1,999 km (1,241 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0