Croppa Creek - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

April 23, 2024

Croppa Creek

Mindful of our need to recover from the previous two weeks of longer distances, we had a gentle ride northwards to Croppa Creek.  We stopped often to look at birds (three new ones today) and sometimes to simply stop.  It is not as flat here as further west which was good because much of the road was dead straight.  

Best postbox so far.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A church in the middle of nowhere.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We had about ten kilometers of unpaved road,  some of which was still rather muddy,  and a few sections of roadworks

One of the wet sections.
Heart 2 Comment 0

A fresh headwind sprang up over the last fifteen kilometers but we turned sharply westwards for the last kilometer or so which made the run into Croppa Creek more enjoyable. 

A nice sign at the turnoff to Croppa Creek.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The village is tiny. Not much more than a shop and a grain silo. The local school has fourteen pupils, two of whom were absent when this photo was taken.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We headed to the village shop to make a donation for the use of the facilities at the sports club where we are camping.

Heart 1 Comment 0

  I returned to the shop later in the afternoon to pick up hamburgers and beers for supper.  I had a long natter with the lady running the shop.  She warned against stopping in Boggabilla, a town a few kilometers this side of Goondiwindi.   "It's not safe!"  There is a clear them-and-us feel in some of the towns we have past through in northern New South Wales.

Today's ride: 49 km (30 miles)
Total: 2,048 km (1,272 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0