Mumbil - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

March 28, 2024

Mumbil

The dew was exceptionally heavy last night and our tent wasn't in the best position for the first rays of the sun so it was after nine o'clock by the time we got going.

I had hoped to take a picture this lovely row of terraced houses this morning but I had forgotten to factor in the angle of the sun. They date back to 1876.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltMight not meet some folks idea of a great picture, but for me, it really captures the early morning feel.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

We dropped four hundred and fifty meters today.  In between we undulated gently through low hills following the railway line as it traveled north from Orange.   We had no dramatic views but the countryside was easy on the eye.

Much of the route looked like this.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The only excitement of the day was this Short-beaked Echidna (Tachyglossus aculeatus) that crossed the street in front of us as we entered Mumbil.
Heart 6 Comment 0

The Burrendong Hotel in Mumbil is a simple country pub but it allows patrons to camp in its yard.  The camping area is reminiscent of the campgrounds in Chilean Patagonia in that it is a small grassed yard with a wood and iron toilet/shower area.  We feel quite comfortable here.

The amenities.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We've had a few beers and hamburgers and spent some time chatting a couple of locals.  We're the only ones in the campground so hopefully we'll get a good night's sleep. 

Heart 4 Comment 0

Just a short hop to Wellington tomorrow. 

Today's ride: 72 km (45 miles)
Total: 893 km (555 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0