Orange - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

March 27, 2024

Orange

We have been  spoilt rotten by Angela and Gerald. What a wonderfully warm and kind couple!

They have retired from their winery and are planning to start cycle touring. They had many questions as to how we go about our tours which we tried as best as we could to answer.

Gerald, once nominated for the Australian Winemaker of the Year, has produced some excellent wines. Our supper of homemade pizzas and salad was accompanied by his Reserve Chardonnay and his luscious Pinot Noir. I understand his reasons for retiring but I wish he could continue growing grapes and making wine.

The view at Patina that accompanied my morning coffee. Unfortunately the coffee also came with the news that my rear tyre was flat. Two flats in one day. It's been a long time since that happened.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Angela and Gerald with some of their great wines.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Gerald built this pizza oven.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Angela trying out my bicycle.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Gerald also had a go. If you look carefully my bicycle has a bottle of Gerald 's excellent 2019 Pinot Noir in one of the bottle cages.
Heart 4 Comment 0

It would have been very easy to get stuck in the good care of Angela and Gerald at Patina Winery but we reluctantly left them some time after eleven and cycled the short distance to the large town of Orange.  In retrospect,  a second night in their care, an offer of which they tempted us to accept, would have been an inviting indulge but they have a large group relatives arriving for the Easter Weekend and we also need to keep on moving northwards. 

Leigh has been struggling with a cracked plate since the start of this trip but a visit to the local BCF, a chain of camping stores, didn't yield a worthwhile replacement.   Her pasta sauce will have to continue dripping onto her lap until we find a suitable one.

Leaving Patina Winery. Photo courtesy of Angela Naef.
Heart 4 Comment 0

After checking into the Canobolas Caravan Park on the southern side of Orange, I cycled into town to stock up on groceries for the next couple of days.  Orange has some attractive late nineteenth century buildings, particularly a row of terrace houses of which I hope to get a photo tomorrow morning. 

Tomorrow we are heading for Mumbil, a small village whose hotel has a small but  well recommended campground. Apparently the locals in the pub are friendly and engaging.   We might join them for a beer tomorrow evening. 

Today's ride: 13 km (8 miles)
Total: 821 km (510 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Angela NaefWhat a treat to meet you in person! It was fun get tips from cycle touring veterans. Thanks for letting us snoop and inquire and for your friendly warmth. We hope to meet again one day.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Scott AndersonTo Angela NaefOh, it’s that Angela! Its nice to have a picture to go with a name I recognize.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago