A surprise return to Walgett - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

April 16, 2024

A surprise return to Walgett

A big thunderstorm broke late yesterday afternoon followed by some heavy rain into the early evening. 

When we awoke this morning the plan was still to return to Hebel and resume our planned route from there to Dirranbandi, Thallon and Nindigully.  But last night's rain had sowed doubt in our minds.  Chatting to other campers and checking on the Queensland traffic site showed that there were now even more road closures in the areas through which we planned to pass.  The Hebel to Dirranbandi road, lying as it does in a flood plain, was closed due to flooding for more than seventy days two years ago.  So over breakfast we decided that discretion was the better than being stuck for much longer.  Instead we will follow some of the others campers' advice and enter Queensland from Moree.  This means backtracking to Walgett and then heading eastwards. 

The ride to Walgett was hot and beset with flies.  On entering the town the first thing we did was buy an ice-cream for Leigh and a cold beer for myself. 

It's crazy to think that we have covered more than three hundred kilometers and have made no progress. 

Another thunderstorm is breaking and we are sheltering in the tent as the rain starts to fall.  An early night awaits us which is good because we're feeling the effect of the hot ride.

Heart 4 Comment 0

Off to Collarenebri tomorrow.  From there we will head for Moree and then turn north to Queensland again.

Today's ride: 81 km (50 miles)
Total: 1,731 km (1,075 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Graham SmithSorry to hear that floods have forced such a significant detour. Your ride is turning from an adventure into an epic.

Hopefully the traffic on your backtrack route isn’t also being increased by the road closures. I guess motor vehicles … especially trucks… would be detouring elsewhere if they had advanced notice.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Graham SmithWe're very likely to tag onto your route and enter Queensland at Texas. Busy recovering in Collarenebri after a series of violent storms yesterday afternoon and last night.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago