Kars - The fourteenth step ... Asia Minor - CycleBlaze

October 3, 2023

Kars

A rather uneventful day.

The weather continues to turn colder and, with a short ride to Kars allowing a later start, we set off with three layers of clothing on our upper bodies.  Leigh bravely started out without her rain trousers on (I was wearing mine just to stay a bit warmer) but it didn't take more than a few kilometers for her to change her mind.

Enjoying the wide shoulder on the Turkish roads. Rain trousers came out soon after this.
Heart 5 Comment 0

For the first twenty kilometers there was almost no traffic but once we joined the road coming southwards from Ardahan it got a bit busier.   Thank goodness for the wide shoulders on Turkish roads.  They make cycling a lot safer and less stressful.   In addition,  the Turkish drivers are so friendly and considerate compared to those in  Georgia.

Soon after the junction we met a young German cycle tourist, Jan, who was on his way to meet a friend in Gori, Georgia.   He had started out from Germany in March.  We duly warned him to be careful on the Georgian roads.

We have a lovely apartment in Kars for the next two nights.  After checking in I spent a lot of time cycling around trying to find a liquor store so I could buy a bottle of wine.  We have had so little wine on this trip and I was starting to miss it.  Eventually I found one but I was starting to feel embarrassed by my own determination. 

Tomorrow we hope to book tickets on the train to Erzincan to take us westwards.

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 1,921 km (1,193 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0