Erbaa - The fourteenth step ... Asia Minor - CycleBlaze

October 11, 2023

Erbaa

I didn't post an entry for yesterday because ... nothing much happened.  At least it was a very good rest day (thanks for the encouragement Rich).

Keen to get away early this morning,  we were at the breakfast table a few minutes before the appointed starting time of eight o'clock.  This didn't stop the sulky young guy who manned the reception and kitchen overnight  from taking his time in serving us.  Once the boss walked in and started to help, things speeded up significantly.   Turkish breakfasts, even the simple ones as shown below, are wonderfully varied and healthy compared to a greasy fry-up or a bowl of over-processed cereal.  As usual we called for another  basket of bread - cycle tourists need their carbs.

A boiled egg, tomato, cucumber, three types of cheese (we've had up to six), two different types of olives (often more) and as much bread and tea as one can get down one's gullet.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The first twenty kays was similar to two days ago.  A mostly downhill trajectory and windless conditions. 

Pretty much the same as the past few days.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Scott AndersonCould be worse.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
We didn't see any.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Kelkit River that runs down the valley through which we have been riding.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Within an hour or two the weather turned for the worse and we had another fifty kilometer slog into a headwind.  Then a big climb at the sixty kay mark.  It was pretty dark by the time we arrived in Erbaa a little before five.

For the last two hours rain was all around us but amazingly we stayed dry.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Erbaa is a surprisingly modern town.  The first hotel we checked out was full.  Cold and in need if a warm shower, we took the next one.  Overpriced and a bit old and tired by the proprietor was very friendly and we were ready to end the day.

Amasya is where we are heading tomorrow.   A tough day by the look of things.

Today's ride: 82 km (51 miles)
Total: 2,235 km (1,388 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0