Amasya - The fourteenth step ... Asia Minor - CycleBlaze

October 12, 2023

Amasya

Today would be our last day on the D100.  This major road turned out to be a far more enjoyable route than I first thought it might be.  At times there has been a lot of traffic but not once was it stressful riding, thanks to the wide shoulder and the courteous drivers.  

Today's ride was in absolutely lovely weather.  Bright blue skies, virtually no wind and the temperature starting off at about eight degrees and maxing out at about twenty one.  It was mostly a slow poison climb with a few bumps thrown in to get our lungs going occasionally. 

The valley was broad to start off with. Lots of fruit and veg farms but also grain crops, the fields of which were being prepared for winter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A break in an unused fruit and veg stall.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The valley got steeper again on the second half.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I have enjoyed these wide shoulders.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Apple orchids on the valley floor.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We got to Amasya just before four o'clock.  It is a town of two halves.   The eastern part, through which we entered,  is very modern.  The old town lies on the western bank of the river and consists of beautiful Ottoman era buildings mostly turned into hotels and restaurants. 

We had booked a room for two nights at one of the better rated establishments using Booking.com.  I am a Genius Level 3 client so we get some good discounts,  this time 48%.  Booking.com is blocked in Turkey but by using my South Africa mobile data I can bypass the restriction.  

After settling in, we wandered back over the river to the new town for supper.  Both here and in the old town there wasn't another foreign tourist to be seen (I am sure there must be - we just didn't notice any).  The restaurant we chose was full of locals and we enjoyed a delicious meal of pide and various kebabs at a very untouristy price.  Leigh is dead keen to return tomorrow night.

Crossing the bridge to the new town. Spot the 'plane in the sky.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The old town lit up.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The hamman looking slightly tarty. Our digs are directly behind it.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 78 km (48 miles)
Total: 2,313 km (1,436 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0