Villa La Angostura - The thirteenth step ... Six months in South America - CycleBlaze

November 18, 2022

Villa La Angostura

With no need to rush to Angostura we had another lazy start to the day.  There were lots of things to keep our attention.  

Black-faced Ibis (Theristicus melanopis) are the natural alarm clocks in Patagonia. They start calling at first light.
Heart 2 Comment 0

A herd of sheep breezed through early on and disappeared into the woods after grazing for a while.  About an hour later a lone sheep came running through the campsite from the direction from which the herd had come.  It was quite distressed at being left behind and was bleating frantically.  It was still there, bleating, when we left.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Our gander has been hard at work keeping other geese out of his space.  Usually an aggressively display worked but once it got physical.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

After the altercation neither gander seemed prepared to step down and both gave mating displays to their respective geese.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Our gander seems to be telling his missus that he sorted the interloper out.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's weather was pretty grey and so the lakes were less impresssive than yesterday.  However, the hills made up for that with an extra dose of steepness.  I am so pleased that we decided to break the journey from San Martin to Angostura up into three shorter rides because it has given us the chance to enjoy it more than if we had rushed through.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once in Angostura we checked out the first hostel.  Eight thousand pesos for two bunk beds in a dormitory.  No thanks.  So we headed off to the hosteria where we stayed four and a half years ago.  Eye watering at eleven thousand but at least we have our own room and bathroom with a lot of nostalgia thrown in for good measure.

Verana's Haus.
Heart 2 Comment 0

To work the nostalgia a bit more, for a late lunch we headed off to a hamburger joint called Ruta 40 Bar where we had eaten when we we here in 2017.

The prices in Villa La Angostura give nostalgia a bad name. Five and a half thousand pesos for two hamburgers, a coke and a beer.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 30 km (19 miles)
Total: 3,647 km (2,265 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0