Camping Don Horacio - The thirteenth step ... Six months in South America - CycleBlaze

November 19, 2022

Camping Don Horacio

Another late start and a few chores before leaving town.  Firstly, to top up our Claro SIM card.  The wifi at Verenals Haus so poor that it wasn't worth the effort of trying to connect to the internet.  I guess we should have topped up the card yesterday.  The other chore was to find another gas canister.  I feel insecure if I only have one so I try to make sure we carry a spare.

We weren't in a rush to leave town since the campsite we were heading to was just over thirty kilometers away.  Well, it would have been if we hadn't taken the wrong road out of town.  We should have checked the map before cycling out of town but we (read that as "me") thought there was only one entry and exit.  The exit we chose took us over a steep little hill and we suddenly found ourselves at the little port in Bahia Blanca where the ferries leave for Bosque de Arrayanes in the Nahuel Huapi National Park.

The ferry port at Bahia Blanca.
Heart 3 Comment 0

After struggling back over the hill to Villa la Angostura we made sure we checked the map before heading out on Ruta Cuarenta.  An unnecessary detour of eight kilometers and a hundred plus meters of climbing.  It was after twelve o'clock before we finally left town.  Once out of the grip of the heavy traffic close to Angostura it was a pleasant but chilly ride to Don Horacio.  The traffic was relatively light and considerate and a fresh northerly wind had picked up which gave us a lot of assistance along the way.

We had some lovely views of the mountains across the lake and of many little streams gushing down to the lake.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Today's colour scheme is "yellow".
Heart 3 Comment 0

On our arrival at the campsite we were told that hot water is available from seven thirty in the evening.  I said that was useless for us because we needed to shower there and then so the friendly camp attendent told us to give the showers a go in ten minutes.  The ablution block was pretty grotty but at least the water was hot.

The campsite is situated in a little bend below Rota Cuarenta and this gave us a lot of protection form the wind.  It was starting to get pretty cold so after an early supper we hit the sack with the sound of light rain on the tent's flysheet.

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 3,687 km (2,290 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0