Lago Correntoso - The thirteenth step ... Six months in South America - CycleBlaze

November 17, 2022

Lago Correntoso

It was a struggle to drag ourselves away from our lovely digs.  We hit the road just before we had to check out and were soon climbing a short but stiff hill.  The whole ride was quite hilly but the views made up for it.

There have been many Argentinean cycle tourists on the road between Angostura and San Martin.  This is the very popular Seven Lakes route.  Many are traveling very light and many are in large organised groups.  

Apart from all the local cycle tourists, we also met a German guy heading to San Martin.  He had started southwards on the Carretera Austral from Pureto Mont in Chile but the persistent rain drove him over the border to Argentina where he hoped to find some sunshine.  The rain south of Puerto Montt is unavoidable if one is doing the Carretera Austral because the area is one of the wettest in the world.  However, the last time we were in the Villa La Angostura area we eventually climbed on a bus to Menddoza so that we could escape the rain.  This part of Argentinian Patagonia can also be very cold and wet!

This large group of tourists, about thirty in all, monopolised Leigh for a few minutes at a mirador over one of the lakes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I can't recall the lake names but the views were incredible.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The campsite on the edge of Lago Correntoso is large but quite simple.  There were only a handful of others campers so we had the place mostly to ourselves.

One feature of the campsite is various pairs of Ashy-headed Geese (Chloephaga poliocephala) that are quite accustomed to humans.  Each pair seems to have a territory in the campsite and the "our" gander protected his small range aggressively.

Our gander.
Heart 1 Comment 0
His missus.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This Chimango Caracara (Phalcoboenus chimango) had a dust bath next to our site.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 3,617 km (2,246 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0