Villa Río Hermoso - The thirteenth step ... Six months in South America - CycleBlaze

November 16, 2022

Villa Río Hermoso

After the two knocks we have recently had, namely Leigh's broken saddle and our food poisoning, we needed a boost and today one came our way.

Last night we were both feeling pretty flat and we thought we might have to spend an extra night in San Martin.  But when we awoke this morning almost the first thing we said to eaach other was that we need to carry on, even if it is for just a short distance.  This is when luck kicked in.  I found an affordable cabana on AirBnB just a bit more than twenty five kilometers out of San Martin.  There was a big climb to get there but the short distance should cancel that out.

First business was to get a better saddle for Leigh.  Better is a relative term but, after cycling around town for an hour or so, we did find something not too soft and suficiently wide for her.  She immediately perked up because the cheap-and-nasty had made her one sit-bone a bit sore because it was too narrow.  

Next business was to stock on some groceries.  With us not feeling a hundred percent and with today being a short day, we planned to take three days to get to Villa La Angostura, one of which would be camping somewhere.  

With that done we headed down to Lago Lácar upon whose shore San Martin lies.  It really is very easy on the eye and, with all the outdoor activities available in the area, it is obvious why San Martin is such a tourist hub.

Heart 1 Comment 0
San Martin from just outside the town.
Heart 1 Comment 0

By the time we started the climb of five hundred and forty meters from San Martin to Arroya Partido it was almost midday.  We had prepared ourselves to suffer on the climb but we were just blown away by the views across the lake and the mountains.  Our spirits soared.

Lago Lácar
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Starting out in the middle of the day meant it was a lot hotter than we had planned for and we made sure we kept hydrated and cool as we made our way upwards.  The climb was over fifteen kilometers so the gradients were all easily rideable but the bright sun and light wind had us seeking shade whenever we stopped for a drink.  

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The last five kilometers was a great descent to the little hamlet of Villa Río Hermoso.  We arrived at our digs just before three o'clock to find a cabana that exceeded all out expectations.  All the things we have so often hoped for but were missing in our various Argentinian accommodations are available.  To top it all, the hostess has provided a bowl of homemade facturas, a couple of which we ate immediately.  It was the perfect way to end a great ride.

A gift of a bowl of facturas, some already eaten.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The view from the balcony.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After drinks and snacks on the balcony I got a nice fire going.  It is going to be cold tonight and we need to warm the house to help dry our clothes (which we got out of the washing machine later than we expected).  All a lot more cozy than what we thought we might have tonight.

Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 33 km (20 miles)
Total: 3,561 km (2,211 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0