Villa General Belgrano - The thirteenth step ... Six months in South America - CycleBlaze

October 9, 2022

Villa General Belgrano

Towards the end of today we found out that this weekend was a long weekend to celebrate Oktoberfest and the area south of Cordoba around Alta Gracia and Villa General Belgrano has a strong German influence.  Which explains the crazy amount of traffic on the road south from Cordoba to Villa General Belgrano and the total lack of available accommodation over the past weekend. 

Last night's campsite was surprisingly quiet but tonight's is very different. I can hear at least four distinct sources of loud music in the immediate vicinity of our tent as I type up this journal entry.   

We got away after nine  o'clock this morning with the idea of camping alongside Lago Los Molinos which we reached after a long climb over a small mountain range.  These were the climbs that we have done since just outside Posadas more than a month ago so despite the traffic we really enjoyed the ride.  Of course, the climbs meant we had some descents as well, particularly the last eight kilometers of unbroken freewheeling into Villa General Belgrano. 

But before this we had to suffer a few hours of stress not knowing where we would spend the night in this busy and densely populated area.  

In Villa General Belgrano we begged a spot in an overflowing campsite full of Oktoberfest party animals making the most of the last night of the long weekend.  Even if we don't survive it, it will be an experience to remember. 

At the top of the last of the climbs and about to enjoy a nice downhill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A damwall retaining Largo Los Molinos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The proprietor found us space she said would be "mas tranquilo" but as the sun was setting we gained a few neighbours close enough to be within touching distance. I'll try to get a picture of their setup in the morning.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 1,920 km (1,192 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0