Embalse - The thirteenth step ... Six months in South America - CycleBlaze

October 10, 2022

Embalse

As expected we didn't sleep particularly well last night.  We took a long time this morning working out what we wanted to do today.  We wanted to be able experience a bit of Oktoberfest but neither did we want to hang around in Villa General Belgrano.  In the end we decided to cycle through the town before heading south.

While working our way through a few cups of coffee (for me) and mate (for Leigh) and working out our plans for the day we managed to clock up a few new birds in the campsite, including this Glittering-bellied Emerald (Chlorostilbon lucidus).
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our neighbours were pretty close and the guy in the tent touching ours snored like a chainsaw.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of German influenced buildings, from houses to businesses and the local municipal center.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The municipal center.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The center of town seemed fully committed to German-ness in general and th Oktoberfest in particular.  We had hoped for a beer and a bratwurst before leaving town but the only kitchens open were serving the usual Argentinian breakfast of a cup of coffee and a tiny media luna.  So we settled for a pilsener for Leigh and a Weisbier for me straight from the taps at the Makbier brewery.  We paid festival prices but the owner tossed in a pretzel as well.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The owner of the brewery drawing our beers for us.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It was midday before we got away from Villa General Belgrano and the road southwards was a traffic jam of at least forty kilometers.  We took a few breaks to buy empenades and churos to sustain us along the way - it will be very difficult to starve to death along this section of road - but even with all the stops we made better time than the vehicular traffic that was crawling along at a bout ten kilometers an hour.  I suspect many of them are heading to Rosario ot even Buenas Aires so I shudder to think what time they will make it home tonight.

I said "at least forty kilometers" because by the time we dragged ourselves into Embalse it hadn't ended yet.  It was almost impossible to ride on the road so we spent most of the time riding on the verge, sometimes grassed but mostly rough gravel.  We're pretty knackered and an early night and hopefully a good sleep will see us right for our journey southwards tomorrow.

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 1,961 km (1,218 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0