Editing entries while on the road - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Editing entries while on the road

Bob Koreis

Reading through my trip journal I'm embarrassed by all of the grammatical and spelling errors I find. Why did I use so many commas? 

I'm curious if anyone here types out their entries in a text editor to check spelling and grammar before cutting and pasting into their journal?

Reply    Link    Flag
3 weeks ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bob Koreis

Typos are, unfortunately, an all too common consequence of trying to write and post each day before exhaustion takes over. Fortunately for our team, Dodie can often catch many of the errors during one of her middle of the night wakeful periods. Or we just both say phooey, everyone knows what we mean.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 weeks ago
Wayne EstesTo Bob Koreis

I find it extremely easy to manually correct typos after posting to a journal. I never liked autocorrect functions because they alter too many proper names.

I proofread my text carefully, but occasionally find typos years later. And sometimes I remove excess commas years later.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 weeks ago
Rich FrasierTo Bob Koreis

I use an iPad to journal while on tour.  Before I fully trusted Cycleblaze, I would write my journals in Pages and then copy/paste them into the journal.   That had the advantage of spell and grammar-checking my wayward fingers and brain.

Since then, I’ve become more comfortable with the site’s editing capabilities.  I find it so much easier to paste the pictures in first and then write “around” them that I no longer use Pages.

Of course, as a result, I have the same problems you mention.  I think just last week I fixed a grammar error in a journal from 2018.  

And I still use too many commas.  Unfortunately for my poor readers….

Reply    Link    Flag
3 weeks ago
Lyle McLeodTo Bob Koreis

I jist blst it out and hope that my spell chick piks up mist of it. Most people figure it out.

Life’s too short …. To learn German’ (or spelling) - Oscar Wilde

Reply    Link    Flag
3 weeks ago
Bob KoreisTo Bob Koreis

So the consensus is not to worry and edit later if I must. Well, I musted on Sunday and edited about half of the entries. The teacher/grammar Nazi/grad student paper writer in me had to. But I'll have to let it go while on the road.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 weeks ago
Lyle McLeodTo Bob Koreis

Yep, generally much better to do the clean up in the comfort of your home, coffee cup in hand, with a real keyboard and full size screen. It’s a sisyphean task though, I always find something to correct or tweak every time I go back to one of our journals.

And the ‘road errors’? You can look at these as an inevitable outcome of a good hard day where you are fighting the urge to get horizontal in order to get pics and prose published for your insatiable followers.

BTW, my previous comment about ‘my spell chick’ was actually spelled correctly. This is of course in reference to my long suffering spouse and touring companion Kirsten, who does a massive amount of cleanup every night before we click the ‘public’ button. She’s human too though so some errors do make it through.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 weeks ago
Andrea BrownTo Bob Koreis

While Bruce probably posts more on our shared journal than I do, we both compose the writing somewhere else (Google docs for me, email for him) and then copy and paste. If the other person is awake, which is not always the case, we hand over our laptop/iPad to the other one to read it, correct any spelling or factual errors and then post, adding photos at the end. It's not always the most efficient way, probably, but it works for us. Bruce is the late night guy so sometimes I am like Dodie, waking in the night, checking the journal, correcting any errors, and going back to sleep. 

Reply    Link    Flag
3 weeks ago
Kathleen JonesTo Bob Koreis

As a former copy editor of the highest nitpicking order, I say you have permission to make as many “errors” as you wish. I have mellowed out so much these last few years because of autocorrect, thick fingers on tiny keyboards, need for speedy replies, and so on, that I’m with the Grampies (thank you AC for changing to Grammies - see?) now. We can figure out what you mean. Fix it later. 

If you’re writing a journal while on the road, there are no grammar or spelling infractions at all.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 weeks ago