Sleeping pad recommendations (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Sleeping pad recommendations (page 2)

John PickettTo John Saxby

Thanks for the info. The first sleeping pad I used in three tours from 2003 to 2005 was a 3/4 length Thermarest. I agree that it is plenty durable. It's still usable 20 years later. Try as I might, I couldn't sleep a bit on it. My lower legs kept dangling off the end. (I'm 6 feet tall.) 

I'll add the Neo to my compare list. There are so many tradeoffs to consider. Price. Weight. Packed size. Durability. Width. (Wider does strike me as desirable as I rolled off my last pad constantly.) I will probably make my purchase next week when my $20 off REI coupon kicks in.

Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
John SaxbyTo John Pickett

Thanks, John.  Maybe the XL Neo would suit.  I'm a shade under 6 ft, so the length of the Regular is OK for me, but I have wide shoulders so slightly more width wd be welcome.  I have found that letting out a bit of air from the Neo means I'm less likely to roll off.  I have found the Neo to be durable -- quality seams, for example.  I'm careful with it -- I use a groundsheet beneath my tent,  and always check the ground carefully for pokey bits.  I don't live in goathead thorn country, and if I were hiking in Southern Africa, I'd take the Thermarest Pro.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
George HallTo John Pickett

You wrote "Wider does strike me as desirable as I rolled off my last pad constantly."  You are probably aware of this, but just to be certain; there are inflatable pads that are sized to fit within a sleeve on the bottom of sleeping bags. This prevents the sleeping bag from slipping off of the air mattress, which was a problem I had prior to buying a newer system in 2015.  So as long as you stay inside the sleeping bag, you can't roll off the air pad. Wow, listen to me;  I refer to my 8-year-old sleeping bag and pad as a "newer" system - I'm obviously not so new myself.

I'm also a tall guy - 6'3" - they do make sleeping bags with longer pads that fit in the sleeves for us taller folks. Best of luck with finding a solution that works for you.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
John PickettTo George Hall

Thanks. A friend at a bike shop recommended a quilt to strap to a pad. 

All this choice is making me wish for the good old days when you had a choice of full or half size and whatever was at the local sporting goods store.

I make a really inept capitalist consumer.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
John PickettTo George Hall

Thanks. A friend at a bike shop recommended a quilt to strap to a pad. 

All this choice is making me wish for the good old days when you had a choice of full or half size and whatever was at the local sporting goods store.

I make a really inept capitalist consumer.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago