Sleeping pad recommendations - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Sleeping pad recommendations

John Pickett

I am gearing up (literally) for my next tour and need to replace my old REI sleeping pad. It was never very comfortable and, last summer, the valve went bung. So any of you have a sleeping pad that has served you well? I have a $20 REI coupon that expires in a couple of days so LMK. Thanks.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Lyle McLeodTo John Pickett

Hi John, 

We’ve used Exped UL mats for over a decade and have been very happy with them. We have both 3-season versions (UL-7 that is now called Ultra 3R) and winter versions that are a bit thicker and heavier. The 3 season versions are over a decade old, with lots of use, and we’ve just had to replace one this summer. They are rated to -5c, we can vouch for that, and at 7 cm thick they are also very comfortable. These mats rate right near the top of any outdoor gear we’ve ever used. Exped is a Swiss company and the quality of their products reflects this. REI sells them and they get pretty good reviews. https://www.rei.com/product/201644/exped-ultra-3r-sleeping-pad

Hope this helps.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo John Pickett

I have three older type (rectangular rather than tapered, inflatable not foam) ThermARest pads.  I'll never need them all at once.  You're welcome to any of them free, gratis, and for no cost if you like.  Two are the 1/2 inch type, one is 3/4.  All are full length.  Each has been repaired by Cascade Designs, the manufacturer, at some point in its life but all three currently hold air as expected. 

If you're interested you're welcome to borrow one or another and try it before you keep it.  I'm happy to meet somewhere convenient to do the handoff.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
John PickettTo Keith Adams

Thanks for the offer but I really ought to buy one of my own. Cheers.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
John PickettTo Lyle McLeod

That's quite an endorsement. I have been concerned about leaks and other defects but this one sounds pretty darn good. And it costs about half the price of the pad that my 2023 riding partners were recommending. Thanks.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo John Pickett

You do understand I am offering to give you one to keep forever, right?  It will be your own.  You're welcome to try them before committing.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
John PickettTo Keith Adams

Yep. No worries. I'm going to buy a new one. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
John SaxbyTo John Pickett

Hi John,

I'm a little late in replying, but FWIW, here's my experience:

I've used Thermarest mattresses for the last 40-odd years, starting in the early 1980s.  Usage has been hiking, paddling, and cycling in North America, Europe, and Southern Africa.

The first pair I had were 3/4-length inflatables, 3/4".  I used these for about 30 years, then gave them to a friend who has two youngsters. They're still in use.  I had a couple of problems with leaks around the valve corner, fixed those with epoxy. Only one leak in the body, which happened on a hike in Namibia, and I fixed that with a self-adhesive bike-tube patch. (I found the leak, caused by a thorn, I reckon, by immersing the mattress in water -- in Namibia, if you can imagine! We were hiking the Fish River Canyon.)

Then, I bought a Thermarest Pro, 3/4 length.  Still have that.  it's been very comfortable and durable, no leaks at all. But, I've found it to be a bit bulkier and heavier than I like to use when cycling, so in 2015 I purchased a Thermarest Neo, full length.  This has been first-rate, prob the best of all for my purposes. Comfy, very light, infinitely adjustable for firmness, quick to inflate, compact when deflated, &easily packable (tho' best done on a handy picnic table, it must be said.)  Only qualifier is that I'd happily exchange a couple of inches of length for an extra couple of inches of width at the shoulder.  (A friend suggested buying a women's XL, which he said is a bit shorter. I learned that after buying -- you might want to check that dimension.)

Good luck,  John

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
John PickettTo John Saxby

Thanks for the info. The first sleeping pad I used in three tours from 2003 to 2005 was a 3/4 length Thermarest. I agree that it is plenty durable. It's still usable 20 years later. Try as I might, I couldn't sleep a bit on it. My lower legs kept dangling off the end. (I'm 6 feet tall.) 

I'll add the Neo to my compare list. There are so many tradeoffs to consider. Price. Weight. Packed size. Durability. Width. (Wider does strike me as desirable as I rolled off my last pad constantly.) I will probably make my purchase next week when my $20 off REI coupon kicks in.

Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
John PickettTo John Saxby

Thanks for the info. The first sleeping pad I used in three tours from 2003 to 2005 was a 3/4 length Thermarest. I agree that it is plenty durable. It's still usable 20 years later. Try as I might, I couldn't sleep a bit on it. My lower legs kept dangling off the end. (I'm 6 feet tall.) 

I'll add the Neo to my compare list. There are so many tradeoffs to consider. Price. Weight. Packed size. Durability. Width. (Wider does strike me as desirable as I rolled off my last pad constantly.) I will probably make my purchase next week when my $20 off REI coupon kicks in.

Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago