Unusual attractions - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Unusual attractions

Rachel and Patrick Hugens

We just became aware of this site through a friend and thought the topic interesting to share the link:  All Places in the Atlas on One Map - Atlas Obscura

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Brent IrvineTo Rachel and Patrick Hugens

I just bookmarked it. Thank you!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Mike AylingTo Rachel and Patrick Hugens

Good find!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rachel and Patrick Hugens

Thank you for sharing this.  It is wonderful!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jeff LeeTo Rachel and Patrick Hugens

Thanks for posting this! I vaguely remember looking at the site years ago, probably when there were fewer places on the map.

I wonder who here has visited the most places listed while bike touring?

I took a quick look just now and compared the map to my most recent tour of a few months ago, and found that I rode near several of the places, despite taking a VERY back-roads route:

1. Ben E. Clement Mineral Museum, Marion, Kentucky: I saw the sign for this museum in Marion, but didn't stop.

2. Cave-In-Rock, Cave-In-Rock, Illinois: I saw the cave but didn't actually go inside it.

3. Piasa Bird, Alton, Illinois. I stopped and looked at it.

4. The Mistake House, Elsah, Illinois. I stayed one night in the tiny village of Elsah, but somehow didn't notice this attraction.

5. Plaza 1907 Cinema, Ottawa, Kansas. I stayed in Ottawa one night, and walked around the downtown. I likely walked past this place, but didn't know of its significance.

6. Post Office Oak, Council Grove, Kansas. Somehow didn't notice in the small downtown, possibly because I was befuddled due to bonking at the end of the day.

7. Jim Dickerman's Open Range Zoo, Lincoln, Kansas. I noticed these interesting sculptures along the side of the road as I traveled between Lincoln and Lucas.

8. The Garden of Eden, Lucas, Kansas. Not only did I stop for an extended period and look at this absolutely amazing place, I even paid to take the tour! Totally worth it.

9. World's Largest Collection of Smallest Versions of Largest Things, Lucas, Kansas. I rode past this, but didn't stop because I'd already spent so much time at the Garden of Eden.

10. Bowl Plaza, Lucas Kansas. Ditto - rode past it but didn't stop, after already spending a long time in Lucas.

11. They Also Ran Gallery, Norton, Kansas. I didn't know this place was there. If I had, I would probably have checked it out.

12. Albert the Bull, Audubon, Iowa. Took a picture of my bike with the enormous statue of the bull.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Jeff Lee

A great collection! Last summer's ride through Minot we saw this The Geographical Center of North America – Rugby, North Dakota - Atlas Obscura 

And then of course we live very near to this:  Idaho City – Idaho City, Idaho - Atlas Obscura

And lots of unusual things to see in Boise Freak Alley Gallery – Boise, Idaho - Atlas Obscura

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Wayne EstesTo Rachel and Patrick Hugens

I like reading Atlas Obscura links. It's interesting to see what they judge to be "extraordinary". Atlas Obscura shows no extraordinary sights in my area, but I notice that it doesn't mention any of the area covered bridges, concrete arch bridges, or lighthouses. They must not be peculiar enough. Of course it does mention the exploding whale monument in Florence, Oregon.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Bob KoreisTo Rachel and Patrick Hugens

The founder and staffers from Atlas Obscura have been frequent guests on Rick Steves' radio program.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Paul MulveyTo Rachel and Patrick Hugens

That's one of my "go to" places when I'm mapping out a bike route. I like to see the out-of-the-way places. My other favorite is https://www.roadsideamerica.com/. The latter contains a lot of kitschy sights but who doesn't love seeing hot dog buns signed by famous people in Toledo? :-D 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Paul Mulvey

Thanks for this link.

Racpat

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago