Dahon vs Bike Friday (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Dahon vs Bike Friday (page 2)

Brent IrvineTo Keith Adams

I feel the same way about the dahon compared to my full sized 26" tourer. But, I use the folder when faced with high airline fees. Canadian airlines are reasonable; Euro ones are not. I'm content enough using the folder just not sure of its longevity.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Brent IrvineTo Ray Swartz

I ended up using a stand whenever I stop - I think I dropped the bike the first time I stopped to take a photo. I'm ok  with the balance of the bike otherwise. As for flats, Marathon+ has treated me VERY well.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Brent IrvineTo Kelly Iniguez

I'm starting to think I'll just stay put for the time being. If it ain't broke.... etc.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Brent IrvineTo Kelly Iniguez

I've not flatted in 5 to 10 years with M+.  Maybe I'm lucky?

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Kelly Iniguez

Schwalbe Marathon (not marathon plus) 406 x 1.5.  We had our tires slimed once, on our first trip to Arizona years ago, but not since.  We used liners in the past too, but stopped when we had the same experience you did - they sliced the inner side of the tube.  Conceivably we’ll slime our tubes again someday if we start getting excessive flats, but I’m certain we won’t try the liners again.

Thanks for the reminder though.  Rachael’s planning to take her BF to Tucson with her, and I should either change her tires before we leave or take replacements with us.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Janice BranhamTo Brent Irvine

I had a Dahon Mariner before my Bike Friday New World Tourist. The biggest reason for the change was packability. I needed a suitcase plus a duffel to fly the Dahon anywhere. Plus, I had to disconnect something on the derailleur to pack it.  I don't remember the particulars real well on that, let's just say it was a barrier for me mechanically to get everything properly assembled and functional.

The Bike Friday goes in one suitcase, even though its a tricky, tight fit. I find the assembly/disassembly easier and can usually manage it by myself, other than the mast occasionally getting stuck. I have more gears for climbing with the triple crank, and have just had more fun on this bike. 

I don't generate as much power on the Bike Friday as my other diamond frame and recumbent bikes and suspect the upright position is the main difference. It hasn't been a problem on this trip since we aren't doing long miles and aren't in a hurry, but I'm considering putting drop bars on it before the next long tour.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezTo Scott Anderson

Ajo Bikes in Tucson would have 20" Marathon tires. They advocate for the Leo Trio (so named because shop employee Leo came up with the combo. It's a thorn resistant tube, a tire line, AND a Marathon Plus tire. They install these on trikes, most of which have motors. Thus, it doesn't matter the weight of the tires. 

I did do some research on thorn resistant tubes - for presto valve, there seems to be a consistent problem with the valve stem coming out of the tube.

I'm trying Leo's Duo - sort of. I have the liners, but not with Marathon Plus tires.For tires, I have Gatorskins, which come highly recommended, but inflate to 100 psi, and seem VERY rough riding to me. Then I had another bike with my standard Marathon Racers and the liners. So far, both combos have worked well for me. I do try to avoid obvious pointy things in my path. The mechanic who was telling me about Leo's Trio said that he now rides right through glass with no concern at all. Yea . . .  not happening!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Wayne EstesTo Kelly Iniguez

Arizona needs a bottle deposit. The states with bottle deposits have less broken glass on the roads and less trash on the roadsides.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Rich FrasierTo Kelly Iniguez

Hi Kelly - You might want to try dropping the pressure in those Gatorskins to see whether you can improve the ride quality without things getting too mushy.  We use Gatorskins on our “go-fast” tandem.  28mm and we run them at 85 front and 90 back.  We are a 270lb team, so I think you have some room for less pressure on your bike.  Maybe worth a try?   We love the tires - very few flats so far (knock on wood).

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Kelly Iniguez

I've run nothing but Gatorskins on my upright tandem (although it's been mouldering on the wall, unridden, for the past several years) since the middle 1990s.  They've been 700 x 28 and given good service and a nice ride.

When it's time to think about new tires for the Rodriguez, or maybe even just time for a set of "every day" tires for day rides, I may fit 700 x 28 or 32 Gatorskins and save the beefier tires for loaded touring.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago