A tour to Willie Nelson's Ranch - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

A tour to Willie Nelson's Ranch

Jerry Roberson

I have a Leaf hub motor that will be here in a few days and will install it on my velomobile so I can pull my travel trailer up the big hills between my house and Austin. Also my doctors and wife insist that I have a way to get to a trauma center in case I have another heart attack. 

I will take one of my guitars and a doobie when I go to visit Willie. LOL. I first met him in person in 1979 in Darien, GA of all places. I hope to leave on December 20th after I get back from Houston from the powerlifting meet on the 18th of December. I plan on being back home on the 24th. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jerry RobersonTo Jerry Roberson

Heard back from Willie's people. They say I might get five minutes with him when I get there. I bet when he sees the velomobile and travel trailer he will be intrigued enough I can get him into the velomobile and take some pictures. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Kathleen JonesTo Jerry Roberson

Good luck with that. That would be really cool.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Gregory GarceauTo Jerry Roberson

That will be quite a contrast from Houston's power lifting event to Willie's laid back ranch.  I don't know how far you have to go, but it will all be worth it if you can get a video of you playing your guitar and smoking a joint together.  It would be even more amazing if he remembers you from that Darien, GA encounter.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jerry RobersonTo Kathleen Jones

Thanks Kathleen. Yeah, Willie has written some of the best songs ever. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jerry RobersonTo Gregory Garceau

It is only 235 miles from my house to Willie's ranch but it will be more like 260-270 one way. I have a Gibson 1968 ES-175 guitar with Charlie Daniels and his whole bands autographs on it. I was Charlie's security guard and photographer at a fair in MO. I got to sit on Charlie's bus with him and his band for over an hour playing, talking, and a few tokes! Getting Willie to autograph it would be great too. I want to see if I do better than Snoop Dog did smoking with Willie. LOL. At 89 I don't know if he will remember me or not. I have a few photographs from that meeting in Darien, GA somewhere. I am sure he will remember when I show him the photographs. If I just get his autograph on my guitar it will be worth the trip. 

Charlie Daniels signature is on the left side of the guitar in the picture. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

In 1975 I was working close to Myrtle Beach, SC. On Wednesday nights at the Bowery was $1 pitcher of beer night . The house band was named Wild country. I kept talking with some of the band members and finally the lead guitar play asked me to fill in while he talked on the phone with his wife. Does anyone else know what name the band Wild Country became? I got to play with them again in Fort Payne, AL in 1977 when I was working in Scottsboro, AL about 13 miles across the TN River. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

Well crap! I have been told by my Dr's and wife no more touring because of health issues. I will drive down to Spicewood and visit Willie. I'll take my velomobile and do some short day rides around Spicewood and Marble Falls. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Kathleen JonesTo Jerry Roberson

Well crap indeed, Jerry. Glad you can still ride that velomobile, though.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Jerry Roberson

Sad news.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago