Need Help Please - Someone With the Transam Map Section 10 - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Need Help Please - Someone With the Transam Map Section 10

George Hall

I'm currently on tour and don't have access to these maps - and they are buried away somewhere at home and my wife can't find them.  I need some info off of the Section 10 map.  That section includes Marion, KY where there is a hostel for cyclists (or there was in 2015 anyway).  The hostel is a church; I need to know which church it is and the names and phone numbers for the contacts for the hostel.  

I'm doing the Great Rivers South route and am going to have to deviate off of it a bit to get lodging in Marion.  There is a hotel in Marion, but - it's sort of a funny operation and I'm not feeling very comfortable about staying there - long story, not worth getting into now, but the point is I'm looking for another option. 

Much thanks for your help!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jeff LeeTo George Hall

It's the United Methodist Church in Marion.

I stayed there the first night of my recent tour (https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/almostgone/day-one-henderson-kentucky-to-marion-kentucky/)

I didn't call ahead; I just showed up and the church secretary let me in and showed me around.

I believe phone numbers etc. are on a sign on the side door of the church if no one is there when you arrive.

Many, many cyclists have stayed there over the years.

Also, FYI, you can download the ACA maps to your phone with their mobile app.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jeff LeeTo George Hall

I'm curious about your "funny operation" comment. There is no hotel/motel in Marion, but there are two B&Bs there. They both appear to be typical examples of those kinds of places. I'm pretty sure I've ridden past both of them on day rides in the past (I live not all that far from Marion.)

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
George HallTo Jeff Lee

Thanks Jeff, that's very helpful!   

There is a hotel - the Royal Inn & Suites.  The reviews on it are just awful.  I called and talked with the owner, and after a few days he called me back trying to get me to commit.  Reviews mention an unfriendly owner, no hot water, internet not working, bedbugs, and way overpriced.  

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jeff LeeTo George Hall

Interesting - I don't know how I missed that motel. Probably because it's outside of downtown on busy US 60, and I've never ridden up there. The reviews do look terrible. So bad I'd probably sleep in my tent (which I always carry on tours but infrequently use) rather than stay there.

The church is fine. There's a shower in a tiny closet. There are bunk beds and couches in the "youth room" where you can sleep.

It's conveniently located near a 24-hour gas station, and a McDonald's. The Mexican restaurant near the McDonald's is pretty good.

I assume you are riding up on the Trace Road through the Land Between the Lakes. That's a nice, but slightly hilly ride, which I've done many times.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
George HallTo Jeff Lee

Yes, I'll be riding the Trace road in the LBL.  I've only been on it once, never on a bicycle, and that was in 1976 in my pickup truck, so it will be a new experience for me. 

The day I am planning on going to Marion I will be leaving from Grand Rivers.  The Great Rivers South route doesn't go that way, but I plan to divert from River Road and ride about 23 miles on highway 60 to reach Marion.  That will be on a Sunday, and the Google Earth street views don't look bad, so I think that should be ok.   There really isn't another route to get to Marion, because the Cumberland River dictates how you can go.   Do you have any insight on that route?  

I read your Henderson to Marion day - I had read it before and had followed along on your tour, but once I started planning for and then doing this tour I got behind.  Best of luck as you continue

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jeff LeeTo George Hall

I finished my tour yesterday, and am staying at my mother-in-law's for a few days until my wife comes and picks me up.

I've ridden from Grand Rivers to Marion, and vice versa, many times. I would not ride on US 60, since there are plenty of paved back roads between the two towns.

Here is an example from 2020 when I rode from Grand Rivers through Marion on the way back to my home:

https://www.strava.com/activities/3146228977

It's 40-ish miles from Grand Rivers to Marion that way, I believe.

There are some hills, but I was able to do it on a single-speed on that ride, so it's not that bad.

I'd strongly suggest avoiding US-60, unless you don't mind traffic. I do mind traffic - a lot - and I'll always go out of my way to avoid it.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
George HallTo Jeff Lee

Thanks Jeff, that route is perfect!  I am booked to stay in Grand Rivers near I-24 and didn't even think about going back south to cross the Cumberland - duh!  Guess I was hung up on following the Great Rivers South route out of town.  I will look for lodging in south Grand Rivers to make things easier for me - but even if I keep my current lodging (Super 8 I think) it's not far to backtrack and take your route to Marion.  I prefer to avoid the busy highways too.   Good thing that today is a rest day for me so I can do planning and arrange lodging and such.  The opportunity to do this tour arose suddenly and I had to plan quickly - I am at the point now where my advance planning ends and am making lodging arrangements for the rest of the trip now.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jeff LeeTo George Hall

I've stayed several times at the Grand Rivers Inn, right in "downtown" Grand Rivers. I like it. It's a mom-and-pop place run by a nice lady.

Village Market & Cafe  is nearby. There's also an ice cream place within short walking distance.  Also a pizza place, if it's still open. "Patti's 1880 Settlement" is a super-busy touristy restaurant which is always packed with people and has a long wait time. I'd avoid that, personally.

I believe staying in downtown Grand Rivers would be much more pleasant than out on the interstate.

Crossing the Cumberland River on 62 has never been a problem when I've done it.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
George HallTo Jeff Lee

I am very happy I "found" your local knowledge and expertise. I will try to book a room at the Grand Rivers Inn as well. I suspect you have improved my upcoming Kentucky transit considerably!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago