Effing iPad - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Effing iPad

Bob Koreis

Anyone  else having a problem with an iPad crashing while using Safari and editing an entry? I finally have Wi-Fi after several days and just lost a day’s entry.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Gregory GarceauTo Bob Koreis

I can't say I've specifically had a problem with an iPad crashing while using Safari, but I can think of three times I have lost at least an hour's worth of writing.  The first two times were a number of years ago and I blamed the public computers in small Montana & Illinois libraries.

The third time was on my most recent tour.  In that case, I'm pretty sure it was my own fault--I pressed on the "Backspace" key too long and it erased all my words and pictures within a couple of seconds.  VERY FRUSTRATING.

Whatever the reason, it's probably a good idea to hit the "Save & Continue Editing" icon at the bottom of the page after every paragraph or two. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Andrea BrownTo Bob Koreis

We write our entries elsewhere, using Google docs. Once we've saved them we paste them into our entry. Google docs saves automatically in real time. I use an 8-year-old iPad Mini and so far, so good. 

I'm not sure why it's crashing though while using Safari. That sounds super aggravating.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezTo Bob Koreis

I have lost my work numerous times. It is SO, SO frustrating. I've tried to follow the practice of frequently saving and continuing editing. I agree that the best practice would be to write a post elsewhere, then copy and paste. 

I reluctantly think that it was operator error . . . . shit happens.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Andrea Brown

I also use an iPad mini, though I think mine dates from 2016

I used to use the “notes” app to write and then copy/paste into my journal, but this year it’s not working. It takes multiple tries (like 20) to get text to paste into my journal. Luckily, data is cheap here in Europe so when the wifi is poor, I link to my phone. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Wayne EstesTo Gregory Garceau

When things disappear because I backspaced too many times, I can usually recover what disappeared by clicking the "undo" icon in the Cycleblaze floating toolbar.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Gregory GarceauTo Wayne Estes

That is some very useful information, Wayne.  Thank you, and I'll be sure to remember it next time I do that--which will almost certainly happen.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Anne MathersTo Bob Koreis

I feel your pain. It's so hard to re-write what you so thoughtfully crafted. It's happened to me several times on my ipad with Safari. Out of nowhere, it disappears and closes down. Poof! Gone! For me, it seemed to be connected with editting captions and moving  photos around, but who knows. The only thing that helped was remembering to scroll to the bottom and save after each carefully written section. And, doing this frequently. 

I built 'scroll to bottom' and 'scroll to top' bookmarks to save all the swiping and scrolling involved. 

Anne

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago