Great Divide Route (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Great Divide Route (page 2)

Kelly IniguezTo Jeff Lee

Speaking of calories. I noticed in your last journal that a number of times dinner seemed to be french fries and a shake! That would not cut it for me. 

As a personal preference,  I avoid wheat. I find that to be a real problem, especially in more rural areas (where I love to ride). Eating vegetarian would be even more difficult! 

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Andrea BrownTo Bob Distelberg

Bob took the words right out of my mouth. Ryan Van Duzer's GDMBR video series is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQntYl1jtMXsK2E-VP1CloTU_YPkGhxtu

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Susan Carpenter

Thanks Susan!

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Rachel and Patrick Hugens

In doing research for the Great Divide, I just came across this resource and POI by Sarah Swallow, and thought to share in case anyone else is planning on doing the ride. 

Services Along the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route (ridewithgps.com)

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Jeff LeeTo Rachel and Patrick Hugens

That looks useful, and having done the southern half of the Great Divide, I had to check some if some of the places I remembered from my 2016 trip were there.

I was surprised to see one very memorable place missing: The "Summer Store" in Canon Plaza, New Mexico. This is 37 miles from Abiquiu (if you're going south-to-north on the route like we did.) It's a little "snack shack" in the yard of a very nice couple's home.

My wife and I stopped there and had an enjoyable time talking to the couple, Joe and Sylvia.

I hope they are still there; It's a must-stop on the Divide. I just did a Google search, and they are discussed here on a page dated July 19, 2021.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Jeff Lee

Hi Jeff!

I've read your journal! And enjoyed very much as your writing is very informative and entertaining! And taken notes and now went back and highlighted this!

Thank you!

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago